How can a single mom get a GED?

I'm 34 years old,a divorced single mom of 2 kids.I'm on my on and raise the kids by myself.The kids father is no longer in their lives.I also work full time.The problem is how can I find time to work towards getting my GED?Between working 8-9 hours a day,kids in school,kids homework,house work and all that?I want my GED so bad so I can make our lives so much better,but it seems impossible.I tried working on my GED 2 years ago with a tutor at church, but she only met with me once a week for 1 hour.That wasn't enough for me.So I ended up ending the tutoring.I'm so stressed!Help!

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• You've heard the saying that nothing worth having is easy- well this is one of those cases. You CAN do it tho! Just look at it as a temporary pain in the butt, w/ a wonderful outcome. (kinda like labor!- lol) I started working on my BA degree w/ a 13 mos old & one on the way. It can be done! Go for it & I wish you the best!!!!! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You might be under estimating yourself. The GED is less complicated than where you left off in highschool, most likely.

In your situation it is advisable to just go TAKE THE GED EXAM. More likely than not you'll pass at least a few parts. And the parts you DON'T pass then off course are the ones you'll actually need to study for.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Check your library or local trade school. Alot of them have classes to help.
    mamacass260

Answer by mamacass260 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• So if once a week for one hour isn't enough, then find other programs and classes and tutors and help. Will it be easy? No, probably not. If you want it, you'll have to work hard for it. But will it be worth it? I'd guess it will be very worth it - you say you want it so much! Good Luck!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• in my area you would just call the local career link or area community college and they have classes. look it up online for more information in your area. i would def do it for yourself and your children.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010