How can you tell if you are lactose intolerant?

Every time I drink milk I fart alot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• babies that are lactose intoerant cant keep down the milk and throw it back up. not sure with an adult.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• That's part of it. It's gas, bloating, and a general feeling that you are going to explode. Ugh..
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I immediately get phlem in my throat after having dairy, and spend the next 2 days coughing it up and clearing my throat every time I speak, it's disgusting, not worth it. My tummy hurts too. Humans were not designed to drink cows milk, we are all intolerant to varying degrees, some of us just don't realize it and feel crappy all the time and have no idea how it feels to go dairy free. You have more energy, feel less sluggish, it's definitely worth avoiding if you can.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 6:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• blood test ordered by dr
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Usually a blood test is required to see if you're truly intolerant or simply (as I am) a "lactose maldigester".

My grandfather would run a fever and vomit immediately if he drank milk. He said it felt like it curdled in his stomach. He was intolerant. I get irritable, a stomach ache, gassy, and bloated if I drink even a half-cup of milk. If I drink a lot (1-2 glasses), I get feverish, nauseated and feel like throwing up.

Try going dairy-free and lactose-free (it can be hidden in other products) for 2 weeks and see how your body feels. Then drink a glass of milk and see if you feel different in the next few hours.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You are probably lactose intolerant....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You usually feel sick after having milk products.  I wasn't lactose intolerant until I was pregnant with my older son 9 years ago.  Now when I have milk I usually get stomach cramps and just feel icky for a few hours.  Depending on how much I have I can get really sick.  It usually doesn't bother me enough to stop eating milk and cheese and stuff.  I just have to watch how much I eat and sometimes it barely bothers me (probably has something to do with what else I'm eating at the time) and sometimes I get so sick I have to lie down until it passes.  I can no longer drink plain milk, though.  That always makes me violently ill and I put as little milk as possible in my cereal.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree with previous posters. On top of farting, irritable bowels, and feeling ill are normally symptoms of being lactose intolerant. Try taking Lactaid pills before or after eating/drinking something dairy.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• I agree with Tam... stomach trouble would be my first clue.
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If you are really gassy or have pain, you most likely would be but it could also be that you are just a gassy person? lol
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2010