Breastfeeding & teething

My 5 month old son clamps down on my nipple and it hurts. I don't want to quit BFing. What did you do?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tell my son "No" or "Stop That" and either break his latch with my finger or give a light flick, just enough to get his attention. Now I just have to say "No" or "Stop That", and most of the time he stops biting down, without any further action.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Every time he does that, firmly say "No biting!" and set him down on the floor. If he gets upset, go ahead and let him be upset for a moment or so. After a minute or two, pick him up and offer him the breast again, but before he latches on, remind him, "No biting." Hopefully that will do the trick.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• He can't bite down when he is actively nursing. Often you can learn to predict when they are about to bite and take them off before it happens. Hang in there, this usually passes pretty quickly!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Make sure you're positioned so that his head is tilted up slightly (the way we tilt our own heads naturally when drinking). With his head tilted, and assuming he has his tongue positioned correctly, it would be difficult for him to bite down.
    dc-mom

Answer by dc-mom at 10:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• you dont need to flick your baby or make him upset by setting him on the floor. all you need to do is pinch his nose closed and he will let go. babies only know how to breathe from their nose so if you pinch the nose ur baby will let go. TRY IT! i promise it will work! :-D
    lilbabie85

Answer by lilbabie85 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• When he does it say "no" firmly. This is very common with babies this ago. My son bit my nipple a couple times, but he does not do it anymore because he knows now that it hurts me & its wrong. I would not suggest u cut off ur sons breathing as lilbabie85 told u 2 do. Thtas pretty evil.
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I firmly tell my DS "No biting. That hurts Mommy." Also, as a reminder, I have started to stick my finger into his mouth just briefly before he nurses. This way, he gets a reminder that we don't bite down. I have also broken the latch and put him down on the floor. This has helped to, because if he really wants to eat, he will do whatever it takes so that I will continue to nurse. I hope this helps! For sore nipples, I still use PureLan 100. :)
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 2:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Don't set him down or flick him or pinch his nose.. Those are all HORRIBLE suggestions! Like pinching his nose won't upset him? Simply break the latch and tell him no, or no biting, or ow, or whatever works for you. And then let him relatch. Good job with the bf'ing, Mama!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2008