I love my husband, but should I be concerned?...jewish stuff included..long..

I recently became interested in making a temporary aliyah to serve in the Israeli Defense Force which for non Israelis the volunteer program in 18 months including a hebrew language training program, or ulpan. So I was planning on taking a ten day trip to israel next april to get a feel for the place. I understand that he doesnt want me going alone as it is probably dangerous at times. But he says either I go with someone (and he refuses to go with me) or he would break my leg. I ask him why on this matter and he say he would stop me from doing something stupid. Traveling alone in a foreign country is foolish. breaking your wife's leg to stop her from going somewhere is stupid, a waste of money and a good reason for divorce even though i love him greatly. right? i told him if he ever hurts me the ring would come off if the damage is bad enough. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm sure that "breaking your leg" is a figure of speech..or an over exaggeration to get his point across-right?? If not, thats just weird. Not to be rude, but any husband who could bring himself to actually break your leg..cannot possibly love you. If you think he would actually break your leg..you should GET OUT NOW.. if he brought himself to do it..and didn't care how bad that would hurt you physically, then nothing would stop him from doing worse than that..or even harming your children. About the traveling, be smart. take someone with you.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Break your leg? Ooooh, you mean that literally. I don't know what to say. I think he's crazy. Maybe you should split.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 6:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Has he ever hit you before? If not, it may probably be a figure of speech, he is that concerned for you and your safety. He seems like he doesn't want to really stop you if you have someone with you, but if not, he wants to ensure you do nothing that can end up placing you in a harmful position. Let him know it bothers you that he said he would physically hurt you, even if he did not mean it.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think that you should not go to Isreal. You married & need to take your husbands words into consideration. I'm just going to hope & assume the breaking of the leg was a sarcastic empty threat....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Never hit you on purpose and you feel he would break your leg.. Sounds like warning signs to me.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• He is scared for your safety. He wont go with you, because that would be sort of a 'blessing' on his part. My husband says similar things, but he says he will get me pregnant whenever my unit calls me up for a deployment (Marine Corps). He hasn't done it, but he is so afraid of losing me that he says things to see if I will change my mind. Just have a serious talk about it. Don't get divorced over his concern...
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 9:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• He has never hit me before on purpose. and I am taking his words into consideration. like I would not just up and leave to goto Israel. I highly take his feelings on everything into my mind before making most decisions, however this is something i really am interested in doing. I wouldnt put it past him that he really would break my leg if i tried to go. and he would not think twice about it. thats what is concerning to me a bit.
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i would never get divorced for no reason. only if he physically harmed me. but thanks and we did talk more deeply about it than we had before. all is well :)
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 8:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2010