If a credit card account is closed, can I still return stuff bought on the card?

I closed my account and forgot I had stuff that needed to be returned from it. Will it be credited back to my account if I return the stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You can tell the store that the account you used to purchase the items has been closed. Sometimes they will give you cash but some will likely give you store credit.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• How can something be credited back to a closed account? You should call your bank and ask them how to handle it...?
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 6:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes, the store can only credit back via the method that was originally charged. It will be up to you then to get the money back from the CC company. In some cases, they may reopen the credit account with a negative balance (existing credit you can use) OR they may just cut you a check. Check w/ the card issuer - if they're not forthcoming, you may be better off putting the item up on eBay or Craigslist than fighting the CC company.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If you are still paying on the account yes you can. But if the card and the account the card was linked to are absolutely closed you will not be able to you would have to let the store know it's closed and you would probably receive in store credit via gift card or something...
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 7:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes but some stores will only allow it to go back on the card or a store credit. The credit card will mail you a check but it may take months to get the money.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 7:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ive worked in retail, the money can be given back as cash or store credit. They just process it differently. Like when someone doesn't have a receipt, stores can take back an item. They can just do it that way. Go to the store, they will get you your money back, like I said this time and the first it may end up store credit in most cases but some will do cash.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010