Teens & Homosexuality

It occurred to me today that just a few short years ago when my daughter was in high school it was trendy to be gay - there were all these boys and girls saying they were gay when they weren't and trying out same-sex relationships. It was the cool thing, although it wasn't on the news. This was around the same time when emo got really big. Today the news is full of the bullying of gay teens and the suicides.

What do you think caused the major shift with teens?

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The return of the "family values" politicians played a part I believe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree with butterflyblue19, it seems like the climate in this country becomes more and more intolerant of those not conforming to the "Christian family value" standard, even though that same standard seems to be a tad bit hypocritical, with all these stories of "conservative" public figures having affairs (gay or straight), abusing drugs, etc.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It was the cool thing, although it wasn't on the news.

Yes it was on the news. Kids have always had some bullies among them. Always will, gay is just the thing to bully for right now. Sad, but it is what it is.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i think there is a huge correllation, butterflyblue19. i get that everyone is not comfortable with homosexuality, but it seems like a lot more harm is being done now. kids are always going to experiment sexually (abstinence training or not... let's get real) - it just was a little different. now there is violence against others and self... so these are the family values we want to pass on to our children? not me, thanks.
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• When I was in high school...late 80's it was cool for the popular girls to play lesbian. Now if two "ugly or not popular" girls said it and really meant it...they were bullied.

But the popular girls did it to entice the boys who thought it was supercool. I think this sort of still occurs.

NO boys ever said it..
    Anonymous

• Carpy - I didn't watch alot of TV but followed news on the internet (generally BBC though)... you're saying the trend for teens to experiment with homosexuality was on the news? Please tell me more... in what way?
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• *late 90's sorry....hahaha
    Anonymous

Wrong. I know many christians who are very accepting of gays. It has nothing to do with family values.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Anon - Yeah... you're right... girls did do that to get attention from guys. It continued in the early 90s in the clubs and it's been a while since I was in that scene, but last time I was I still saw dopey drunk girls pretending to be lesbians to get attention from guys. It seems like a different thing, though, than was going on in my daughter's high school. This was going on with guys and girls and it wasn't seeming to be about trying to get sexual attention from the opposite sex. It does paint a sad picture over a period of time, though, about how women in society are treated and how homosexuality is viewed as a perversion since lesbianism was played up for the purpose of men's erotic pleasure...
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Carpy - I did not read her statement to be against Christians/family values, but the politicians who use this platform tend to be very antagonistic toward those that don't conform - e.g. Sarah Palin uses this platform and uses very violent words and images and tries to get people pumped up and angry at those that disagree with her statements.
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2010