Why all the visit's?

Why is everyone so caught up on regular doctor's visits for children if there is nothing wrong with the child!?! My child has an occassional cold but nothing worth going and seeing the doctor every three to four months. Is it for government tracking or what. I come from a firm belief that you don't need to visit a doctor unless your really sick and don't know what's wrong!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Health

• With my kids I did it when they were babies because it's what everyone insists on. *shrugs* Now they go in once a year but that's needed for school (both of their schools insist on a yearly physical).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Probley to check that there growing right, and gaining weight not loosing weight, regular heartbeat, so forth and so on.
    lostiniowa

Answer by lostiniowa at 5:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• When children are in the first year, they get vaccines at certain intervals and making sure they are developing properly is also a reason. As long as you are on track with development and you are keen to any changes or signs of illness, you could do it without and see how it goes.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• You aren't a doctor so by keeping track of their growth and such information the kids have medical backgrounds and histories that help if, God forbid, something serious were detected. Wouldn't you rather have Well-Child vistis anyway? That is what we call them at my doctor's office.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• The only real reason that well baby visits are "needed" (past one year) is for vaccinations. My son is delayed and selectively vaccinated and we've only been to three well baby visits since his birth.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• generally thats a comman practice if you have a young child. i took my daughter in for immunizations and such alot when she was small. Now we generally go once a year for a check up and if we are ill. I hate the act of going. Talk about a perfect place to get a tummy virus or the flu. I am with you on that one. Unless we are ill we only see them once a year. Most often for viruses there is nothing to do but let it run its course anyway. However, as a paranoid and worried mommy when my child has been coughing for a week, even if it is just a cold i need to hear them tell me that. otherwise, i am terrified we have something we need meds for. haha. So thats my motto, be glad they are there when you need them; but stay away unless you do.
    amberlinkous

Answer by amberlinkous at 12:21 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Well baby visits mirror the vaccination schedule for the most part. Once my doc found out we weren't vaccinating, he said it wasn't so important to come at particular intervals.

I now only go when he is sick. I can do all of his measurements at home
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 2:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2008