How to make ds behave in school

I have a 12 year old son(actually stepson but I think of him as a son) that is constantly getting in trouble in school. The majority of it is for talking. Generally at least once a week he gets a note sent home for talking. I have tried taking away his TV time, game (XBox) time, and grounding him from outside playtime nothing seems to work. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There have been no recent changes to our home or schedule.

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My older son use to talk all the time in school. He did his work and was a good student in class, respectful but boy was he a talker. In all honesty he is still is, even in HS.
    I would do a couple of things, one if your son is telling you he's not talking go to the teacher and ask her - Who is he talking to, what is he talking about and when does this talking happen (like after recess, before recess, during a particular study time).
    For my son we moved him away from his friends in the class room, after recess the teacher decided to have a quite 10 minute time before lessons started, to help them all unwind. I'd talk to him about how its disrespectful, and unfair to the other kids in his class because its distracting. That it is the teachers job to teach and she can't do that if he's interrupting. If none of that works I would give him a consequence and temind him every day before he goes to school what will happen
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think "making him behave" is the wrong way to go. When you are 12 talking to your peers is extremely important not just to the child but to their development. I think talking with him about what would make him want to talk to them at appropriate times would be more helpful. Is he talking with the same people? What type of talking is he doing... is it disrespectful?
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 7:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Have his father give him a lecture.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think seturkey makes some good points. Have his dad have a heart to heart with him about it and maybe take away his privileges for a longer period of time. For example, he can't earn them back unless he can make it a whole week without getting a note or something. Make him prove that he can do better before he gets privileges back.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• UPDATE...his father has lectured him and again nothing. As far as talking to him about what's making him talk or what he is talking about he swears he is not talking that the teacher is picking on him. We have a constant battle with him here at home talking while we are talking, talking to himself and just babbling about nothing in general.
    gratefulangel77

Comment by gratefulangel77 (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would talk with him about why is talking.
    Could be that talking with his friends is just more important than getting in trouble with the teachers and you.
    Try to help him work out a way to get to talk with his friends outside of the classroom.

tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010