is it wrong to consider them my own? and me as their mom?

I took in my nephews & godson because their parents passed away , so when people ask if they are all mine when im in public I say yes because it feels as if they are & my godon just calls me mom because i was a mother figure to him when he was born, & my nephews choose to call me mama because they said even though im their aunt I feel more like a mother to them then their mom ever was. but the rest of the family & friends tell me I shouldnt because they arent my blood. i dont see it as a big deal, i did not tell them to call me this, they came to me & asked if they can since im playing the role. is this bad in your opinion? & why?

Kayge

Asked by Kayge at 7:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• So you hac custody of these kids? If you do then I think it is ok.

Answer by louise2 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Being a mother has nothing to do with actually giving birth, and everything to do with RAISING those children... So no, I see nothing wrong with you seeing them as your children, especially since they obviously see you as their mother.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You are raising them, they are yours.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You have custody of them, you are their mom and there is nothing wrong with it. For those that say they aren't your blood, well they obviously are the ones with a problem and I seriously hope none of them ever adopt a child as they probably wouldn't want their non-blood, adopted child calling them mom n dad.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Of course they are yours. Don't worry about what others think. You take care of them, and they see you as their Mom.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 9:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• In your case, yes I think its fine that they call and think of you as Mama!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• of course they are yours my fiances kids im like the only mom they got! they call me mommy krystal because there real mom is not mom material
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• you don't have to be pregnant & give birth to be a mommy You love those kids, they love you, you take care of them, support them, comfort them, encourage them. You are every bit their mother!
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• What Anouck said, perfectly.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 2:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• DNA has nothing to do with parenthood. Those children need to know that you are mom, not just a temporary caregiver.
    What bothers me is when a person has no legal rights or relationship with a child but still claims to be their parent and talks about them as if they do have them.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010