what age do you is a good age to start letting your kid walk to and from school?

mdillon9183

Asked by mdillon9183 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know, I am too scared to and mine are 5 and 8!
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 8:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It depends on the distance, area, types of roads to cross.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• These days, I'm not sure they should walk to school alone. I was 7, in second grade when I started walking. There was a group of us that walked together.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 9:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It would depend on the kids and distance.

Mine started walking to school at the end of last year.  They were in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades (7, 8 and 9).  And it was 3 1/2 blocks in the city of Chicago.

Now we live in WA and they walk to and from the bus stop every day.  It's down the street.  All the kids in our neighborhood walk to and from on their own even the 1st graders.  Then again all the kids in the neighborhood just run all over.  My 9yo son is on the way to go find his sisters at their friend's house around the corner.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• military neighborhoods, the law is 10, personally I tink 7!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not sure if its a good idea at any age. But, I know I'll have to let them so....maybe twelve, and with a friend.
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• UMM i would say never, things arent the way they use to be. Its to dangerous, and I cant stress it enough. There are to many perverts and petifiles.
    adyssonsmommy

Answer by adyssonsmommy at 12:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2010