Do any of the SAHM out there do educational activities with your children during the day?

I am a new SAHM and I am trying to get some good ideas. I work with my son (2.5 years old) but want to make sure I am doing enough education as well as fun.

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 8:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was told not to do more than 10-15minutes at a time and limit it to 3-4 times a day until they are in preschool etc.. That is all have the attention span for.

I bought the hooked on phonics set, from big lots, dirt cheap. I use that or I made notebooks with the letters NOT in order all scrambled, colors, shapes etc.. And we worked with that.

Target, dollar tree, dollar general and them now carry nice cheap books for kids by age that are helpful. MY middle is 3.5 my youngest is 21m and gets therapy so I work with the 3.5 yr old after preschool sometimes.
    I will do a page or two and then let her go play for hours, then maybe after dinner do another page. I don't force it, if they are fussy or flipping out I pass. I make it fun and make awards. There are games too like color bingo, etc..

Good luck
    PreemieMom.2009

Answer by PreemieMom.2009 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I home school my DD. Started at 18 months. PM me if you want my curriculum & lesson plans. But yes, limit it to about 20 minutes, 3 to 5 times a day. Don't force it, make it about hands on stuff like crafts, & whatnot. Do lots of reading. There are lots of games that make learning fun for them. We do a rewards system as well
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It's so funny when people say they homeschool there young children. Homeschooling in most states is considered to start at the mandatory school age. In many states that is age 7. Kids under age 4 don't need planned educational activities. If they are with an educated mom and are exposed to a variety of activities learning is going to come naturally, the best way. If you are going to homeschool it may be best to wait on formal learning activities (curriculum & lesson plans) until age 12 (John Holt). The exception is learning a second language before age 3. Kids start loosing their language abilities at age 3. It's much more important to learn to be an effective parent than do educational activities.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We read books, with me helping him recognize and remember objects.
    Same with letters, numbers and shapes, we have age appropriate books to help.

We listen to music, lots of different genres.
    We make a game of learning body parts and movements (jump, march, wave, ect)
    Go outside and study leaves, animals, objects.

Nothing fancy needed, really.
    Just about anything can have a lesson involved, just make it fun!
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 2:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• At this age, play is learning. When my son and I are building with blocks we name the colors, which is what most people would consider education, but he's also learning about balance, exercising his fine motor skills (important for writing later on), playing with patterns (an important skill for math), etc. When we are playing cars, he's learning about how things move, about ramps, I work in lessons on manners (excuse me, allowing other to go ahead, etc). Even when he's having a snack we will count the number of raisins in his bowl, or make a pattern on the table out of raisins and cheerios, and he's learning about textures and colors. So, no we aren't sitting down at the table doing worksheets, but he is learning all the time!

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• read, play and go to activities such as swimming, art and My Gym and go outside. Really there is no other activity you need to do but read, sing and get them moving. I have never "worked" on the ABCs, numbers, colors, shapes etc with my DS and he knew all of it @ 2. I truly believe reading is key to a successful child's educational career...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2010