How can I ease my newborn into the same nap and nighttime schdule as my two year old?

She hardly naps at all during the day. Oly when we are out and about. I am super tired b/c of her waking up at night and fighting her bedtime!

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 8:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you dont, baby will eventually fix her schedule. i have 2 kids ages 3 1/2 and 19 mts. at the first 9 mts of my ds lfe he was waking up ery 3 hrs to eat at nite
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't think you can with a newborn. Is your two year old old enough to have his/her nap pushed back or up by a little bit of time to when the newborn is more likely to fall asleep? I know the feeling!
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You can't with a newborn. You just have to wait. The only help you may try is having "wind down" periods before nap/bed time and keeping awake time very bright and active. But it's really not reasonable to try getting a newborn on a schedule. Their bodies just aren't ready for that.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• A newborn, you can't. My youngest is just 1 yr and my oldest is early 2. They just recently got on a similiar nap schedule. The 1yr old goes down first, then the older about 20 minutes later. Same at bedtime. As the newborn gets older they will need maybe up to 3 naps a day, then 2 (late morning and later afternoon)....I hated that phase, my baby went down at about 10:30 then my older went down at 1:30, then the baby took another nap at 3:30ish.....I never had down time during that phase. But they each got 1:1 attention then.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i totally fixed my daughters schedule she will be 4 months on the 29th she would stay up all nite and sleep all day. i was so tired of it so i would let her take naps but i would wake her up by 4 and played with her we'd go visit family and do things and she sleeps at nite perfectly!
    missaddyjane

Answer by missaddyjane at 9:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It will take time. Your newborn is going to have a different schedule as your 2 year old. However, try laying down for a some relaxation at the same time as your 2 year old is taking a nap. Maybe your newborn will sense the time to rest. Also, for the bed time schedule, try playing with her or having her active in the afternoon and early evening hours. If she is tired from being active she will be more apt to sleep. You could also apply this to the morning hours to help her be tired for a nap. Another thing that will help her at night sleeping is to introduce some cereal, not much, but when you are comfortable with it you could spoon feed her some diluted cereal with formula prior to going to bed. The full tummy feeling will last longer thru the night and can also make her sleepy for an easier falling asleep.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• A newborn's needs are not the same as a 2 year olds. If you are tired you may be out and about too much. A newborn doesn't understand a mother thinking there should be a "bedtime" and has the silly idea that she should sleep when sleep. Rest when your baby is nursing and try to get your 2 year old to rest or have quiet time. At least make one room childproof so if you drift off to sleep the 2 year old is safe.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I did it with my now 9 and 10 year olds, and again with my 23 month old and 3 month old. I'm very big on routines and schedules. I have always laid my 3 month old down drowsy but awake since birth and let her drift off to sleep on her own. My 2 year old is my son and my 3 month old is a girl. I started her on a feed-wake-sleep cycle (yes, it's from Babywise which some people are against, but has worked very well for all of my kids). So I would feed her, then put him down to nap while she was playing, then she would go down for a nap. It was just part of her schedule and because her feedings were routine, her naps simply fell into place. I also think her routine was a huge part of the reason she's already sleeping through the night (10pm-at least 7am)

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2010