Potty Trainging Advice

My 2.5 year old son WAS starting to poop/pee on the potty back in June but then we moved in July and he hasn't done it since. He wasn't fully trained by far but at least went. I know regression is normal in moving. I ask him to potty and he says no. He will tell me he pooped and he needs a change after he went. I don't feel like I should push him. Am I doing right? What is the average age that boys are trained? I hope my son isn't behind b/c I have friends with kids same age who are trained.

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 9:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Average age is still 4. He has time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You are absolutely right..don't push. He is not going to do it until he DECIDES he wants to. Thats the only way..when ya push them, they don'y wanna do it..all u can do is encourage but in a way that says, " I dont care either way". Its mind games, but when he thinks its his idea..he will be motivated.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• we told my little girl that when she was potty trained we would take her to the mountains so she could fish!! she loves the mountains.. so she started going everytime.. we didnt tell her she had to but we have her a reason to shes 2 1/2 and fully potty trained even at night time.. you're doing right not to push.. but maybe if you throw a reward in there it will help him be motivated to go! GL
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My oldest son had passed his fourth birthday before he was completely potty trained, and now my middle son is 2.5 and I am determined to get him trained by 3. I know that friends have mentioned to me that sticker charts worked for them, candy rewards, or a new adventure such as the fishing trip mentioned here. I would agree not to push your son. I already failed at that, because when I tried too hard to get my son to sit down on his potty, he started getting mad. I stopped even asking him if he needed to go for a couple months, and just the other day he told me he had to potty/poopy! He sat, but didn't go. And that's ok. We are one step closer. I just hope it isn't as difficult as my oldest, so I will be checking new answers on CafeMom until my toddler learns to go! Good luck!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• When you start something new with your child, like potty training, and then a major event happens, like moving, they revert back to what they were doing before. Honestly, I'd wait a little while before revisiting potty training. He needs time to adjust to his surroundings. My daughter wasn't fully potty trained until she was 3.5 years old.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010