do you find you pass judgement on others like this?

so i had some alone time for the first time in years and i was thinking. now i have tats, piercings, an alternative look in general an di hate it when ppl judge me based off of that...but ive come to realize i do the same thing. i definitely judge ppl that have a "ghetto" "gangster" look. before someone assumes, no i do not mean black men or women, i mean ANYONE who dresses like that and has the overal ghetto attitude. i find it to be a bit insecure cause they use anger and intimidation to get their way (not everyone who dresses like that does just a lot) and i came to realize, i am doing exactly to them what ppl do to me cause of my tats etc. and i really dont like that and now that i realize it, i want to try to not be so judgemental when someone has the "ghetto gangster look" do you find you judge ppl like this sometimes whether you mean it or not?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• I think most people don't mean to judge, but it happens before we know it. It is part of human nature (how we categorize and make sense of things). I think the most important thing is your feelings/attitude after that. Do you acknowledge that they may be different from that stereotype and try not to be negative? Also remember that we dress to make a statement and show people who we are.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't mean to be judgemental but i have to admit that i am. I sometimes wonder why people dress or look totally outside the norm and then get all upset when they are judged. If you look different, people will assume you ARE different. It's too bad though that many people can't get past the exterior of a person and get to know them for who they are. Most of my friends are tatted and pierced.
    StepJenni

Answer by StepJenni at 10:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think we all judge, but not acting on it is the key.Being mindful that you are judging and then getting past that is beautiful!  Not telling others what your judgements are is virtuous also. If you still get to know the"ghetto gangster look" person, is your initial judgement hurting them? No.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 10:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i get judged alot because i have no teeth and im only 26 ppl assume im on drugs and im not that was from a mother who didnt care about me and take me to the dentist and then i got pregnant with my son and i didnt take my vitamins they made me sick but alot of ppl do judge i try not to i get judged alot i dont want to judge anyone
    Anonymous

• i guess how i was raised i never seen anything wrong with tattoos or all of that, it was always a self expression and a love of body art but as for the ghetto look, it was a lifestyle and an attitude not just self expression thru clothing which is why i passed judgement. but.....not everyone wearing pants falling off of their ass and fubu or whatever the hell the style is now for that with some grills etc. is into a ganster , rough dangerous lifestyle...they just like the clothing. and thats something i need to realize. i guess when i see someone with a tattoo or body art i like to see it as art and ask the meaning behind it...i dont see any meaning behind the ghetto look other tha being cool but...who am i to judge?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Ok the first thing to do is stop saying '' ghetto ganster look '' you are still stereotyping
    Anonymous

• i judge people by their actions, not their looks.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think I do kind of judge pretty girls. Sometimes I feel like they think they're better than me. I'm an attractive woman too, I think. But pretty girls intimidate me. It's ironic though, I've made friends with people who have later told me that they were intimidated by ME at first! But I try to be friendly with everyone. In school I was friends with every group, I didn't belong to one click. I was friends with Jocks, Goths, Nerds, Preps, Rockers. So I don't really judge people who dress differently, I just get bad vibes from people who act better than others. But I know what you're saying about the tats and piercings. I myself have 7 tats, a nose ring and a lot of earrings, and some other piercings. I think that tattoos and piercings are more acceptable in society today so I think that if anyone judges you, like snobby women for instance, don't worry about it. They're just not anyone who deserves to get to know the real you.
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Ok I just have to get preachy here, I can't resist, but when you judge someone you do not define them, you define yourself. And like I said above, we all judge, but what we do with that judement is what matters most.

Judge no one, not even yourself.

Namaste'

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 11:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• we all do that to an extent. we see people and we decide if we are comfortable with them. we can not get to know everyone so we use the visual cues to make decisions. we do this for our own comfort . Now what we need to do is not to reject people dased on those things. I might decide not to take an elevator with a person who is dressed in a way that I find threatening but if introduced to the same person I would give them a chance and learn about them before making the same judgements.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2008