My 3 yr old dropped a bar stool on her big toe. It is very bruised and swollen, I have talked to a few mommys and they all say there is really nothing you can do for a toe. Anyway I need suggestions on how to help her cope with the pain. i have already given her ibuprofen and it didnt seem to help. Thanks

4chickhen

Asked by 4chickhen at 10:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ice
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• you can put some ice on it, but there isnt much you can do for a toe.
    Anonymous

• for one, if it happened to cut her toe open... I would be very careful with that...(probably take her to the doc.) cause my 4 year old dropped an unopened dr pepper can on her toe and (the foot is the most infection prone part of your body {exterior}) her toe got really infected and disgusting. If there is no cut but, there is swelling and discoloration, it could be broken. I would take her to get it checked. The doc's can give her something for the pain.
    jusjessiebbygrl

Answer by jusjessiebbygrl at 10:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Id take her in to the doc to be on the safe side hon

hope she heals fast pooor lil one <3
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Do you have a Ice pack or a bag of frozen peas to put on her toe? You should pack it for awhile.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 10:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If you take her to the Dr. you can be baby tylenol 3. That should help if she is really in pain, short term it won't hurt her.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Try buddy taping it. Tape the sore toe to the one next to it. This helps with fingers too!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I ALWAYS THOUGHT THERE WAS NOTHING DOCS COULD DO FOR A BROKEN TOE TOO. HOWEVER I HAVE 6 BROTHERS. 2 OF THEM BROKE THEIR BIG TOE, DROPPING WEIGHTS ON THEM, THIS YEAR. MY MOM TOOK THEM TO THE HOSPITAL. ONE OF THEM WAS GIVING CRUTCHES FOR A FEWS DAYS. THE OTHER ONE APPARENTLY FRACTURED IT HORIZONTALLY AND HAS TO HAVE SURGERY. I REALLY THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE HER TO THE DOC. IF IT WAS JUST MUSCLE DAMAGE, THE IBPROPHEN SHOULD BE WORKING. GOOD LUCK MOMMA. GIVE HER LOTS OF TLC.

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 3:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• get an xray or a dr to at least look at it - my dd "feel all better" just cause the dr saw her!
    sometimes its all in their heads but others there are times to just be 100% sure they are being drama queens.
    my dd will put an ice pack on something that doesnt need it and "its all better" other times if it doesnt go away we get her looked at cause we know she would have been fine if it realy wasnt that bad
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• When I was 3 my sister and I dropped a big block on my foot, and I broke two of my toes. The toe nails both turned black and fell off, and the docs put a cast on my leg that went up to my knee. If it is broken you need to have it reset, or she may end up walking funny.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2008