Prednisone

Any one have any experiences with your dog being on prednisone? Took our lab to the vet last week. He had a cough etc. The vet said it was allergies and gave him prednisone and eye drops. His dosage is tapering down (currently taking 1/2 tablet every other day. The problem is he is feeming (sp?) for the cats food. He actually broke a baby gate trying to get in the basement where we feed the cats. Am keeping him in his crate whenever no one is home. Hopefully this will go away.

Carolannie

Asked by Carolannie at 9:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pets

• Prednisone causes dogs to eat a lot more (also makes them drink and urinate more too). it's a normal side effect of steroids.
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 4:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have used this drug many times over the years with my Golden. Some side effects are drinking more,peeing more and increased appetite. He should go back to normal after he is off the meds. Hopefully, You won't have to use this drug often. While it is helpful and I will use it when it is necessary I leave it as a last resort. If your dog has allergies you might want to look at his diet and environment those are two big factors to allergies. My golden was pretty much allergic to everything and constantly had skin infections, hot spots and ear infections until I put her on a better quality diet and a supplement. Once I did that I never had to use Pred with her again.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sometimes Prednisone can make animals(humans too) act a little "off: I would give the Vet a call to ask about your dogs behavior maybe there is something else your dog can take. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It can also make you hungry. That's what I would think.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I actually walked into a giant pee puddle this morning. One of my corgis is on prednisone for hip trouble. I flat out asked her if she had done it and her ears went down and she shame walked up to me. I don't blame her of course. Make sure you have extra water and let them out more or they will go.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010