Upset over a church thing and the "fall festival"

My mom prepared the dinner for bible study and fellowship tonight, so I usually go help set up when she does it. I have a 1 and 2 yr old so when we go we just do dinner and the kids play and we leave when bible study begins due to bedtime and night routine. Well, this woman at church earlier today asked my mom if she was coming to the fall festival. My mom asked when it started. Woman replies 4:00 and it's only for kids 4 and up....knowing full well I have younger ones and my niece is also 2. My mom said Well then I guess we aren't coming. The woman was like, Well we will be playing games and crafts that babies can't do. My parents and I are both angry. Been going here a year and devote a lot of time. This woman has no kids. And it's not like I am dropping off my babies. It's more of a social play time in my mind for them. While it's being advertised in the community, so anyone can literally drop their kids off. I'm a member..

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 9:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here is a suggestion.... step back... take a breather first! Offense is rearing its ugly head at the time you wrote this post.
    Now ask God to show you why this offends you and then ask Him to help you through this. Its not about this woman right now, this is about you. When you start with you and work things out with you between you and God then ask Him to give you a better perspective of the situation... ask Him for HIS eyes to see what HE sees. It will surprise you! :-) Then .... in this mindset you will be able to approach the right people with a Heart that loves and is FULL of His grace! The responses you will get will also surprise you. :-) Let me know how it goes for you! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• it seems a little silly for it to open it to the community yet basically ban kids 3 and under. does it say that in writing somewhere? as long as the kids are looked after why cant they come? sure, the activities will probably be harder for your kids (not age appropriate) but its your job to decide if they can or cant participate. and its very rude for her to expect you to help set up the festival when your children arent welcome...thats would be the most aggravating thing for me in this situation.

my church is having a fall festival on Saturday and my 2 year old will be more than welcome. 80% of the activities will be too hard for her...at the Easter carnival the only game she could play was a simple pick up a duck and win a prize game. but she had a blast! most toddlers just like to be out and about. id bring your kids anyway...or would someone be so rude as to tell you to go home?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My church does the same thing - all children are welcome. There are games for the little kids and games for older kids. That lady was really out of order to have said something like that, especially when you were asked to help. With her husband being a preacher, she should think about my favorite saying, "Don't try to lead the flock if your own wool ain't clean!"
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I believe that you should speak to whomever heads the committee for this event. Explain that you would prefer for the event to include younger children, perhaps in a separate area. It was very rude of her to say that and it was not very Christian behavior.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• There are usually reasons for age limits. A church get together is expected to be all inclusive. My church will usually do a nursery for the younger. Except for things like summer bible school where 3 years is the limit. No one younger.
    I think you are being too touchy. When your younger kids are older they can participate. Now either you or your mother will have to stay home with the younger kids. No biggy!!!
    Let it go.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• eh, just go and bring the kids. she is not going to have armed guards at the door and i doubt she would make a big stink about it in front of other people.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Just want to second everything Shaneagle777 said above.
    She nailed it!
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 1:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• ..of this church. And the woman in charge of it all asked me weeks ago if I could help set up earlier that day. If you are so "christian" how could you in a round about way say Don't bring your babies. I'm going to go and let my babies have a good time. I told my parents if it wasn't for them I wouldn't go there anyways, but I feel church should be a family experience. My hubby is military and gone, so this is where I go. In 6 weeks we will be with my hubby again, so I am not going to stop attending there and really mess with my kids "normalcy". My oldest always says PaPa, church? on the days we go. I was just appauled in this. And the woman's husband is a preacher!!!! I just don't get it. Am I wrong to be sooooo angry?
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• if she put you off then chances are others feel like this too... def let someone know
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 9:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I was actually going to tell my friend, the head of the event, it was brought to my mom's attention that the babies aren't "welcome" so I can't help in preperation. I went into the nursery to clean up my babies mess and these 2 were in there talking and I walked in on the end of the conversation to hear the woman in charge say, Well we can't turn people away so you just have to adjust. Now, I would think it be more appropriate to put on the flyers Children Under 4 must have parent present. I just can't believe a member of the church should be turned away from any event. Unbelievable.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010