Daycare vs. SAHM toddlers

I was just wondering if their are any SAHM that find that children/toddlers of the same age as your child that attend daycare regularly, listen to better to their parents? My DD is in no way a misbehaved child, but yes sometimes she ignores me. I find that when I see a few of my friend's toddlers they listen better to their mothers direction. It makes me feel bad because I spend everyday with my toddler talking to her and teaching her everything. Am I the only one? ... probably lol

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've noticed something similar with my DD too. I think it could just be "Mommy burnout"; the more time spent around Mommy, the more she's going to be likely to tune you out. But at the same time, you are probably only seeing a very small portion of the way the other kids act around their parents, so who knows what they're REALLY like? ;-)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Surprise! You're not alone! As a SAHM, you do not necessarily have the authoritative role that teachers often do. You are mommy, playmate, chauffeur, teacher, boo-boo fixer and many other roles all in one. A teacher is a teacher, always. A mommy can take many forms. I stayed home with my daughter for 10 years and yes, there were times when she ignored me, but she is 16 now and a much more grounded, mature young lady than those I saw in the daycare world.

Set boundaries for her and be very, very consistent with expectations and even punishments. She will get that you are the one in charge and yet love you for being the mommy too.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have my dd in daycare and yes she does listen and doesn't listen. she is a typical toddler in everything. but she does follow direction very well. i have nothing to compare it to. but daycare is not a prison and she is not afraid to be sent back there. actually its quite opposite. she loves it there. so that is for that person that said that the kid would be afraid to be sent back. ha...get over yourself.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i have the same issue, she ignores me at times but listens to my husband cause he is not home as much , its like oh just mommy again i see her enough, but at same time i get asked if she is in daycare cause she has great social skills. shes my lil social bug!
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• although I am not a SAHM...
    My children know how to put on a show. My daughter has always been SO well behaived with an audience. When she was 3 she would always go around picking up trash and toys or whatever was out of place. She shared before being asked to and followed directions the moment they were givin. The moment the other people were gone... she wouldn't think of doing those things
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 9:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• idk....i have found the opposite. my nephew is in daycare and he doesn't listen at all. i am home with my kids all the time and when daddy comes home every once in a blue moon they don't listen for him. so in my life it's the opposite lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You're not alone. I agree witth the first girl, It's Mommy Burnout.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Im a sahm to a 4yo...
    When we are at home she is very good at listening most of the time... But she tends to turn her ears off out in front of other people sometimes...
    If daycare kids listen better it may have something to do with the time away from mommy does them good.. Kids that are with parents 24/7 dont get the "i miss i wanna please my parents" as much... But if ur spending 8+hrs a day away from parents a kid may want to spend those precious moment with their parents being a good child, they want to please their parents... dont want to be too bad- may be afraid they will be sent to daycare longer! lol..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I feel the same way most of the time. I notice that he often listens to other people in my family more than me. I think it just depends how comfortable he is with the person too. With me, he knows he can test his limits, but most of the time I try to be consistent with time outs if he does certain things (other times I use distraction or redirection if it's something that's not a big deal). With other people, he will usually do what they ask and follow directions most of the time. He hasn't been cared for much by other people, but he listens to his grandparents pretty well and few of my friends. He acts out with my DH sometimes, but less than he does with me. I also have a few teacher friends, and they say that parents are often surprised at how their kids act at school compared to home. I want to continue to stay at home with him, but I'm trying to find ways for him to interact with other kids and adults more too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i'm a sahm and my children listen to me very well... my dd knows when i mean business
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2010