Do I need a new doctor?

I feel as if my doctor is pushing me aside because of my age. I feel as if he thinks I am some dumb, common young female. I had a doctor's app. about 3 days ago and was told I gained 15 lbs, my blood pressure was much higher than last time, and there was sugar in my urine (this was at 9am). To me, that sounds like there is a problem. He thinks that I have a poor diet and that I am eating too much. Uh, think again. I have an extremely healthy diet (no sugar, no salt, and small portions), I exercise, and drink ONLY water. I have horrible edema (started at 20 weeks) so I can't handle eating unhealthy. Plus my mom is a health nut and won't let me consume anything unhealthy. I have had concerns with how much gain I have been gaining since I was about 16 weeks, and he blames me (my eating habits/ lifestyle). I have told him time and time again that it can't be me, but something else. He just rolls his eyes at. Am I really to blame??

Emmalynns_Mommy

Asked by Emmalynns_Mommy at 10:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• are you sure it was sugar in your urine and not protein? and in what time frame did you gain the 15lbs.? because the swelling and bp sound like pre-eclampsia especially if you gained the 15lbs. in a short while (like 1 week). when i started getting pre-eclampsia the dr. accused me of eating canned soup and pretzels all day....said i was eating too much salt which was totally not true. i told him that i would like to see one of his colleagues and i did switch drs.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would find another doctor. If your habits really are as healthy as you say, then there is something going on that needs investigated further. Especially the blood pressure issue.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I seriously am on an overly healthy diet (I think its overly healthy, my mom doesn't). I gained the 15 lbs in a time span of 3 weeks, but before that I was gaining 8 lbs every month instead of the normal 2-4 lbs. The doctor said sugar, and then asked how much sugar I had consumed before my appointment. This was at 9 am, and before coming to the doctor, I had nothing to eat because I woke up too late to grab a bite
    Emmalynns_Mommy

Comment by Emmalynns_Mommy (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• And I have been experincing a rapid heartbeat (this just started like a week ago) along with a shortness of breath and I get light headed really easy. I used to think it was because I anemic, but it continued even after I got my iron pills.
    Emmalynns_Mommy

Comment by Emmalynns_Mommy (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Make a food journal. Write down the times you eat and drink and how much you are eating and drinking. Keep the journal and bring it in to your new doctor.

You obviously need a new doctor since you aren't comfortable with this one.

You could have developed a food allergy while pregnant. Some kind of soy or wheat or dairy allergy could be screwing with your endocrine system.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010