Am I wrong? Is this really such a bad idea?

My son has a Little Tykes hard plastic swing set with two slides and a small play house type thing on it. Well he is 3 and tall for his age, so he has to duck his head on the play house and the slides are too short.
I want to get him a wooden one for Christmas and since all his his grandparents, greats., aunts, and uncles spend a great deal of money on him (he is the only great/grandchild) I thought maybe we could all pitch in and get him a nice playset. They could do the amout they want and still get what they really want, just not so much little stuff. We would pay for at least half of it. I just want to cut down onthe little junk that breaks and make a huge mess. He said no. He dosen't think his side would want to do it ( I know my would). He said they don't want to give money for something just buy what they want to give. He wont even ask and I don't feel its my place. Is it really such a bad idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• I think it's a great idea
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If he is sure they will not want to be involved, then don't ask. You can ask your own family to chip in, but leave his family out of it.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i wouldnt want to do that either.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think that is an awesome idea.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think it's a great idea especially if your son will really get great use out of it.
    If his family won't go for it then just stick with your family doing it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think it's tacky to ask for donations for a larger gift like that. Granted, I don't know how close you are to your family.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think it's' a great idea. Most families ask for ideas on what to get the little ones anyway, at least mine do. But if his family wont go for something like that, leave them out of it.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Op here. I don't want donations. We can pay for it all ourselves, but I hate all the little junk he gets. He will get more cars, tractors, stuffed animals, and nearly a dozen car tracks. More toy tools, flash lights, toy men, another chair/stool, toy guns and several balls. It has happened for 3 birthdays and 2 Christmases so far and all throught the year. We have talked to them about this, but they don't listen. I just thought that if they were going to spend all this money maybe we could suggest, NOT ASK, this to them.
    He is a very active, rough and tough kid that likes to play outside, so it would get plenty of use.
    I would donate some of it, but they will ask where it is and want him to bring it when we visit or him to play with it when they visit. They (no joke) remember everything..
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 10:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't bring it up to his family, if they call you and ask you ideas to get him for Christmas then you can mention that you are planning on trying to buy that for him and that your family it pitching in on it with you and if they would like to that they are more than welcome. But don't be surprised when you get a bunch of the same toys that your son already has too much of and don't let it frustrate you. Remember they are gifts for your son and sometimes grandparents just want to go shopping and buy what THEY think your son will want regardless of what you say he could really use. If you get all that crap, smile appreciate the fact that they love your son enough to buy him Christmas presents and when you need to clean house and throw stuff out then you do just that.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't want to do that either and my family would NEVER go for something like! They prefer to pick out the gifts themselves. I honestly think it's a little tacky to even ask.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2010