about my son{personal}

My son will be 8yrs old in a couple weeks, my question is that my son only has one testicle and I've never said anything about it to him,and I'm starting to think that i should because i don't want him to get embarrassed or teased one day because he doesn't know any different,but i also dont want to make a big deal about it and make him feel like there something wrong with him he is perfectly healthy so should i talk to him now about it or maybe have his dad talk to him about it ?or wait till he's a little older?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would just talk to him about it really simply. Just say you know honey, you have one testicle and most people have two. It's no big deal though and I think it makes you special. Then you could say some of your friends at school might make fun of you because of it...but dont listen to them because it's no big deal. Then ask him what he thinks and if he has any questions about it. Make it really no big deal and not too serious. Keep itlight. Thats how I would do it.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 2:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think I'd leave that one for daddy. IDK something about talking about that stuff with mom, boys just don't feel comfortable with KWIM?
    Anonymous

• what do the doctors say? i am sure he knows he only has one. hes 8.... they know lol he is probally just embarrased to say anything to you
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Is it really only one testicle or is one of them undecended? I'd talk to the child. Why wouldn't you? If you wait too long, he'll think it's a problem and he'll be self concious. If you tell him matter of factly that he has something uncommon, he'll feel better than if you hide that he's different. You could explain it in a way that says everyone has something uncommon about their body. Assymetrical breasts, ears not level, birthmark, diabetes, dyslexia. Any number of things, just tell him that his is one testicle. I wouldn't say one is missing either. I'd say he has 1 and most boys have 2. Good luck Mom!!!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'd just casually mention it sometime. As if it is no big deal. And it's not. Do you still help him or supervise him when he bathes? That would be a good time. Just say something casual like, "Did I ever tell you that most people have 2 but some people have only one?" That should be enough.

Oh, and I would add "But, of course, you should not discuss topics of private body areas with friends at school because it's so personal."
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 8:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• daddy's turn!
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• No its not Daddy turn my son is 12 and when he was born he only had one to the doctor said it has not dropped down yet it did when he was around 2 well now he has one bigger then the other so now he has to have surgrey because it has more fuild in the other take him to the doctor it is a big deal and scary I thought it was normal but its not and something like this can cause problems please take him to the doctors
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I did take him to the doctor he only has one they did an exploratory surgery when he was one and there isn't another one.the Dr said that the one will make up for the missing one and that its not that uncommon.Thank you guys for all the great answers.
    Anonymous

• I don't think the other kids will notice in the locker room. They don't always hang so both are visible, anyway. My husbands' hang unevenly, so it sort of looks like there is only one, but the other one is just above it. I really don't think kids scrutinize each other's privates in gym class.

Of course, it is important for each person to know and feel comfortable with their body. So, in the context of a general sex talk, you or his dad should mention that it is a bit unusual, but make sure he knows he is just as much a male as any other boy. But I really wouldn't worry about him getting teased.
    Anonymous

• I would have daddy do this one~ Something is just easier comming from his daddy lol~ But he needs to know there is nothing to be ashamed of!!!!
    ChannaRamma

Answer by ChannaRamma at 1:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008