How do you stop a toddler from screaming?

My son is almost 21 months. He has an ear piercing scream. I have tried everything and he continues to scream. I am losing my mind and my patience does anyone have any suggestions. Today I feel like I have just left a rock concert my ears have rand so bad when he screamed. He does this when he's excited, bored, for attention, for fun and in public. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when or why he does it.

kittykat1919

Asked by kittykat1919 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We used time out very consistently every single time, he stopped in about a week. I know they get this loud screech at that age!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 9:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Try not to give him attention until he stops. When he is not doing it then reward him. When he is doing it completely ignore him even if it takes buying ear plugs. lol good luck
    lostiniowa

Answer by lostiniowa at 5:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• try tape recording them and when he screams play it until he stopes he will get frustrated and then after he stops you talk to him about it
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My son does it too! It was hilarious the first 5 times, but now it's annoying. When you're in public, bring a sippy cup... maybe having a drink will keep his mind off the screaming. When my son does it, I just say, "Hey, no no" or "Be quiet." He doesn't do it TOO much anymore, but he'll always find the perfect moment to scream as loud as he can.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• i would bring my neighbors kid in his room and leave him there until he coudl agree to not do it again. it worked for htem. he doesn't do it anymore.
    please understand that he's probably frustrated and trying to express his frustration but he doesn't have the words to do so.
    good luck.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2008