Do you get cold sores?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Health

• no...i don't have herpes....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Honestly, I am not sure. I was just discussing this with SO minutes ago. I have looked at pics of cold-sores on-line, which do not really look like what I get a couple times a year. I have been diagnosed with Herpes when I was pregnant, but I don't know. You do know cold-sores are a sign of Herpes, right?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I've been getting them since I was 9 years old. At least that's as far back as I remember. I know my mother had them so she probably inadvertently given them to me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• ICK! Yes. I have one now.
    Usually I get them if I get a bad cold, but this one came out of no where.
    I'm lucky, mine go away on there own and usually aren't to bad. I have a good friend, if she's not careful they will take over her face! They start at the corner of her mouth and if she doesn't get meds from the DR it will start to move up her cheek towards her ears in a matter of days. It's gotten as far as her eye before they got it under control.
    Some people get them and some people never do! I hate them, but usually they're not to bad.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• @princessbeth79, hate to tell you 95% of Americans have cold sores. Yes it's a form of herpes, but just because you've never had a cold sore doesn't mean you don't carry it. Grow up!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Did you know that 90% of the population had or has been exposed to HSV-1(cold sores) and show anit-bodies to either HSV-1 and or HSV-2(genital herpes), so don't go off assuming you don't have it... Only 20-40% of people show symptoms and unless you have had a PCR anit-body screening identifying either HSV-1 or 2 then you don't know if you have it or not... You may have it and have just never shown symptoms.

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 10:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I've never had them but my mom gets them a few times a year and she swears by good ole carmex to clear them up!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 10:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• @truthteller0722, it's not that kind of herpes. 95% of Americans have what is communally called 'kissing herpes' we get it on the play ground when we're kids. Even if you never have a cold sore, you'll have this kind of herpes. Parents give it to their kids by kissing them on the lips or sharing a drink. Kids get it from other kids from share just about everything they shouldn't at school. The only way to avoid it is to live in a bubble.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I actually have two right now. Fun. I get them sometimes when I get my period or something happens to my immune system. The other day I had a migraine from hell and lo and behold they popped out. I take Acyclovir when it happens and it works wonders.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• @HMHUTSON, Thank you HMHUTSON
    You are absolutely correct.
    Thumbs up! from me!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2010