Cream or pill to start conractions? -Is there such a thing?

So, Im past my due date, and I have a Doctors appointment tomorrow.

My partner was telling me today that there is a cream, or a pill? that can be used as an

induction? or to start contractions? Is this true? Im going to as my Dr. But I wanted to

ask ahead of time. And maybe get some info on eather one. Have you hurd of them, and if

so, did they work?

ness_033

Asked by ness_033 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• well if the doctor wants to induce you they can give you pitocin in an iv
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• well, they could strip your membranes to try and start labor. there is also cervidil (idk if i spelled it right lol), but ihave heard some not good things about that. probably they might want to use pitocin if you're very much over due (you're not overdue until 42 weeks btw). you could try walking alot to make labor come on it's own.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• They are probably referring to prostaglandin gel or Cytotec (pill). How overdue are you? I wouldn't induce anything until 42 weeks unless you have a medical reason. Both of those contain prostaglandins, which are the hormone in semen that encourage cervical dilation. You can try sex, which is much safer. One intervention leads to another, and you greatly increase the risk of a c-section when you start taking matters into your own hands. I've seen it time and time again, and most unplanned c-sections seem to be from inductions. Try to be patient with your body, walk, have lots of sex, spicy food, pineapple, mangos, etc. NO castor oil or blue or black cohosh.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Good old bumpy roads or railroad tracks!!! it works!! trust me!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I used Cervidil and it was horriable..I had contractions for 2 days that were extreamly painful every 2-5 minutes. It didn't do anything to get "real labor" going..I do not recommend this..
    carterclan02

Answer by carterclan02 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes, there are these options but their safety (and ethics) may be questionable.

If you and baby are doing fine then there is no need to add *unnecessary risks.*

Remember, there is a reason you are still pregnant: baby & body aren't quite ready just yet.
    (But they will be, if you allow them the opportunity.)

You can decline the offer to force things, your choice of course.

Be sure to make a long list of all your questions regarding risks & benefits, alternatives, pros & cons... Ask in your appointment, write down the answers and go home to research these replies.

If you are going to add risks to your baby & yourself then you're going to want to be sure it's worth it.

A due date is just the MID-point within the average (estimated) due period (38-42 weeks).
    Many women deliver within that range, and some outside the range, too. That is normal for them~

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010