if you have done a natural home-childbirth after previous deliveries in a hospital with pitocin and epidurals, what was your experience like in comparison?

This question is for moms of more than one child, regarding different birthing experiences.

stillgrowing

Asked by stillgrowing at 11:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have 5, 4 hospital, 2 epis and pit, 1 pit no epi (ouch), 1 natural and 1 UC HB. I didnlt think much of my first 2 with epis my 3rd sucked with pit and drug free but red raspberry leaf tea helped but at the same time he and I bonded much easier. My fourth hosp. Birth was pretty great other than the fact that I was in a hosp. Away from home without my kiddos and my hubby couldn't sleep comfortably in the bed with me and babe. But, my HB was amazing! I loved evry part of it. Yeah it was painful for the last 10 mins. But totally beyond worth it for the health and safety of my baby. And with my second epi, almost 7 years ago they hit a nerve and I still have tons of pain from it.
    I'm planing my second HB in march/april!
    luvbeinmomma

Answer by luvbeinmomma at 12:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I hope to in the future. I'm expecting it's much more pleasureable and I'm loooking forward to not having IVs.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have only witnessed these variations.
    If I had a choice, after those experiences, I would avoid hospital birthing (unless I had a complication that required it).
    That setting is a lot less pleasant.
    :-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My first birth was drug free (I did not consent to an IV), however was not intervention free and I ended up with a 4th degree tear and my baby had a broken clavicle, even though she was only 7lbs 12oz. and was in the favorable position. The environment was stressful and I was treated like I had no clue what I was doing, even though I was handling labor very well. The labor itself was textbook, and very easy to manage. The bottom line is that my doctor and nurses did not know how to work with a woman who was unmedicated.

My second birth was at home, and was 100% stress free. My only disappointment was that my labor was so fast I did not have time for a waterbirth. The labor itself was much more intense then my first, and I really felt it when I was going through transition. Very different from the first, but awesome! I love birth.
    I would never plan a hospital birth unless it was a necessity.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My home birth was the best birth I ever could have wished for, it was fabulous!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Had 3 hospital births, hoping this one can be at home.... my last one SHOULD've BEEN at home but my doctor wouldn't get paid unless I was at the hospital.... so he said I had gestational diabetes so I HAD to be at the hospital- JERK! Hopefully this one can be at home... I prefer it.
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 9:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2010