Knowing this why WOULDN"T you keep your own vax's up to date?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/20/california.whooping.cough/index.html?hpt=T1

60 dead children from whooping cough (pertussis) in CA alone. Many before they were old enough to be vaccinated. They are at risk when adults who don't keep their own up to dat come in contact with infants.

GrnEyedGrandma

Asked by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• "The only safe vaccine is a vaccine that's never used." True. And the only safe disease is the disease never contracted. It can go both ways.

The decline in hunger, poverty and the increased hygiene is, I'm sure, a major contributor in the decline of infectious disease, however, no one can say for sure if it's that, or the vaccines. More likely, it's a combination of both.

That being said, I do vaccinate my children. If my family had a history of reactions to vaccinations, I probably wouldn't....it's a chance, a gamble...but it's a gamble no matter WHAT you decide.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 10:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Whooping cough, also known as pertussis, has claimed the 10th victim in California, in what health officials are calling the worst outbreak in 60 years.

It's 10 deaths.  Not 60.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Since when is 10 deaths an outbreak? More than 10 babies die during the birth process every day, is that an outbreak? No. Get your FACTS people. Need a Dr.'s word for it?
    "The only safe vaccine is a vaccine that is never used." --Dr. James A. Shannon National Institutes of Health "There is a great deal of evidence to prove that immunization of children does more harm than good." ---Dr. J. Anthony Morris (formerly Chief Vaccine Control Officer at the US Federal Drug Admin.) "There is insufficient evidence to support routine vaccination of healthy persons of any age." --- Paul Frame, M.D., Journal of Family Practice "I think that no person would permit anybody to get close to them with an inoculation if they would really know how they are made, what they carry, what has been lied to them about and what the real percent of danger is of contracting such a disease which is minimal." --Dr Eva Snead
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• "The vaccinations are not working, and they are dangerous.. We should be working with nature."----- Lendon H.Smith, M.D. "The decline in infectious diseases in developed countries had nothing to do with vaccinations, but with the decline in poverty and hunger."-
    "I was working in one of the oldest lung illness treatment centres in Germany, and just by chance, I looked at the files of those people who had fallen ill during the first German epidemic of smallpox, in 1947...We had always been told that the smallpox vaccination would protect against smallpox. And now I could verify, thanks to the files and papers, that all of those who had fallen ill had been vaccinated. This was very upsetting for me."---Dr Buchwald, M.D. "No batch of vaccine can be proved safe before it is given to children." ---Surgeon General of the United States Leonard Scheele, addressing an AMA convention in 1955.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• "The evidence for indicting immunizations for SIDS is circumstantial, but compelling. However, the keepers of the keys to medical-research funds are not interested in searching this very important lead to the cause of an ongoing, and possibly preventable, tragedy. Anything that implies that immunizations are not the greatest medical advance in the history of public health is ignored or ridiculed. Can you imagine the economic and political import of discovering that immunizations are killing thousands of babies?" Dr William C. Douglass, M.D. (Honored twice as America's 'Doctor of the Year') "The greatest threat of childhood diseases lies in the dangerous and ineffectual efforts made to prevent them through mass immunization.....There is no convincing scientific evidence that mass inoculations can be credited with eliminating any childhood disease." ---Dr Robert Mendelsohn, M.D.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:55 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• And as for the whooping cough vaccine:

"Only after realizing that routine immunizations were dangerous did I achieve a substantial drop in infant death rates. The worst vaccine of all is the whooping cough vaccine... it is responsible for a lot of deaths and for a lot of infants suffering irreversible brain damage. In susceptible infants, it knocks their immune systems about, leading to irreparable brain damage, or severe attacks or even deaths from diseases like pneumonia or gastro-enteritis and so on". Dr Kalokerinos, M.D.

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• GrnEyedGrandma

Comment by GrnEyedGrandma (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• it's scary
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sorry about the typo. It was late when I posted this yesterday. It SHOULD read 10 deaths this year in the worst outbreak in 60 years..

The scariest part is the infants under 8 weeks who are too young to even be vaccinated. It adds a whole new realm to the vax debate. If you choose not to vax your child..do you choose the same for yourself...and can you live with the consequences of that choice?

GrnEyedGrandma

Comment by GrnEyedGrandma (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• it is scary,I don't understand why some people don't want to get them.I don't think I could live with myself if by not getting my child there vacs a baby died.
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 4:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2010