anyone else have a grandmother who was a terrible cook?

lol, my grandmom was. her specialty was vinegar chicken....yes it was as nasty as it sounds lol. she made coffee (regular coffee....not the instant one) by putting a spoon full of coffee into a mug of hot water. she was good at making cakes at one time, but it went downhill after she made pumpkin bread and realized she forgot to put in the baking soda, so she sprinkled it on top half way through cooking it! wow.....that was um interesting?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• When I tell stories about my grandma's cooking people respond with "And you're still alive?" She was a terrible cook. So many stories I cant even tell you all of it! Let's see..Spaghetti & meatballs: This was that powdered sauce from a packet w/ tomato paste & water. Then she'd make big meatballs out of just hamburger meat. She'd throw that in the sauce..these huge raw meatballs & let them cook. And there'd be a layer of grease 2 in. thick on top that would NOT stir in. Then she'd cook noodles until they were a mushy quivering mass of starch. Moving on to..creamed peas: can of peas. then she's stir in about 1/2 cup of flour. then boil the hell out of it. Next we have..Scalloped potatoes: cut up raw potatoes into a pan. Add 4 hunks of butter, then sprinkle with flour. Next she'd fill the pan almost to the top with milk. Bake till it was one shade shy of black. Steak! She could turn a t-bone into shoe leather. Memories!
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Mine was just nasty in the sense she always wanted to try something new out each holiday and it was always a disaster. I will never forget the first time I saw pickled eggs. I could not imagine eating purple boiled eggs. Gag.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• One of my grandmother's wasn't a great cook....but I'm not sure it wasn't intentional so that her kids would either take her out or do the cooking!! The other one loved to cook and was an amazing cook.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Wow. That sucks. That had to be some nasty tasing chicken!! My Grandma was a good cook, but my Mom wasn't, she burnt everything, I remember sitting at the table, not allowed to get down until I had finished all my meat..she made burnt roast all the time, I sat there gnawing what I could and sneaking the rest to the dog when she wasn't looking.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Nope. Grandma was a great cook. My mom, her daughter, on the other hand, was marginal at best. It was always the same things cooked the same way. Meat meant adding garlic powder and sticking it in the broiler. Yuck. No wonder I'm a vegetarian.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• according to my mom my dad;s mom was a bad cook the kind to add potatoes to boiling water, let it cool and then call it soup.
    my ex mil is bad in the way she will use a can of pizza sauce over spaghetti and call it good
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• lmao wheresthewayout.....maybe my grandmom went to the same cooking school, except she did ketchup on the spaghetti (which was still cruncy for the most part)
    lmao lisa.....with that meatball story i think you unearthed some buried memories about putting a block of scrapple in the middle of some scrambled eggs and trying to make me and my sister eat it half raw.....yuck
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• chocolatluver-we may be cousins! My granny was a great cook, but my mom was the baby of the family, and was never taught to cook. I still remember sitting at the Sunday dinner table trying to chew burnt roast! When I was little, my granny did the cooking for our family and when we moved away-she taught my 12 year old sister to cook, otherwise she said "all you children are going to starve if you have to depend on your mama to feed you. "
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• my grammy is a wonderful cook! my mommy on the other hand...where's the nearest take out place?!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• no but that will be me im sure LOL
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010