Why does my 5 yr. old wake up in a bad mood knowing she has to go to school?

She at least gets 9 hours of sleep. She has to get up at 6:45 to get ready for school, but she would always say she is sleepy. It's always the same thing everyday. She says, I don't want to go to school. Then she doesn't want to get dressed. I say come on, you are going to be late if you don't get dressed and eat. When she's in a mood, she will growl at me, make mean faces, won't do what's she's told. I get frustrated and I yell. I hate myself when I yell. I shouldn't have to yell. Someone help me.

snsulli78

Asked by snsulli78 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You sound like me. Mornings are very frustrating with my 5 year old. I try to be nice and patient and it ends up me yelling at her because she does almost exactly what your daughter does. I just try to accept that she is going through a major change in her life and is lashing out at me. Or she's not a morning person. I usually tell her about something exciting that is going to happen in the day and she is a little better. Today she was horrible until I reminded her it was a field trip to a pumpkin farm. It's hard. I know. I wish I could offer more advice, but I am in the same boat as you are.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Don't send her to school. In some states it's not mandatory to go to school until 7. If it is mandatory for her to go to school you can withdraw her and homeschool her. Why do this to her?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Have you tried putting her to bed 30 mins earlier? If my DS loses even 30 mins of sleep he's a pill.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think everyone has their mornings but for everyday to be like that isn't normal. I am a preschool teacher and the kids are so excited to get to school in the morning...and I would assume your child, if they loved school, would be the same. Maybe she just isn't a morning person. Does she act afraid to go to school? There may be a reason at school that she isn't wanting to go?
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm not the OP, but my daughter is fine once we get in the car. She's excited to get in line and see her friends. I think she's just not a morning person or used to having her wakings controlled.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am not a morning person either and neither is my son. He is 6 and in kindergarten. Some mornings he doesn't yell at me and he will get dressed without a problem. She's just not a morning person and it will take her time to adjust to getting up early.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• me and my son are not morning people and we have to get up at 6 for school.....it's not pretty lol. i think it's just our personality. i've always been like that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Some people just aren't morning folks. Maybe she needs more sleep. Change it up a bit and see how it works. I have two in school this year. They both LOVE going to school, but one just doesn't want to wake up.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• She needs more sleep! Put her to bed earlier. 9 hours really isn't enough sleep for the average 5 year old, they need about 11 or more hours of sleep. If she's going to bed at 9 right now, then you need to put her to bed at 8. With how dark it's getting (early) now and the time change coming up anyways, this is a good time to make that change.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• 'cause waking up is hard to do
    they say that waking up is, hard to do
    now you know, you know that it's true . .

Also, 5 year olds need 10 hours of sleep or more.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010