If you work outside the home............

How many breaks do you get to take?
And then how many do you really take?????
I have a co-worker who takes between 14 and 25 documented breaks per his 8 hour shift, and no one says anything (except that it ticks all his co-workers off!!) but if I take one or two just to stretch or get something to eat, I feel guilty. We work the same shift but I do 20 times more work than him with all his breaks.......I wish it was more fair!! Just needed to vent and wondered if anyone else experiences anything like this......or is guilty of it themselves.

Indyk

Asked by Indyk at 11:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm suppose to get a 30 mins lunch break which never really happen. But by law if you work 8hrs you suppose to get two 15mins break and a lunch.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yeah thats a tough one when you see others not caring about the job as much as you do. It seems like management picks on us more though,,doesnt it? Like the lazy butts get away with so much and cause we care we are held to this level of excellance. My work is a big old company and they added to our work load twice last year. Our volume is up, way more then last year at this time and still they are demanding that we produce the same amount with the new volume level. It is almost impossible. and somedays, it aint even going to happen. Take your break, if you dont, they will just keep adding to your work load. Im getting so burned out with trying to keep up with the schedule,,that the guilt pretty much flew out the window. Superman couldnt do this! lol,,,hang in there hon
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm guessing he's a smoker?

We get 2 15 minute breaks a day, plus an hour lunch (but we're only obligated to take 30 minutes). Going to the breakroom for something or to the restroom is not counted against your breaktime, but they do prefer you be reasonable. I do notice that the smokers tend to sneak off for a smoke break quite often however.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Of course, he's a smoker.
    And as he just walked past me to go out AGAIN (we work nights) he said.......sucks that you don't get any breaks. I said it's because you take them all. He just said.....sucks to be you!!! Snot nosed little brat!!!! (He's half my age!) I wish I didn't need this job so much!!
    The funniest thing is......I'm actually a smoker, too, at home or at the bar. I was just raised with a work ethic that the job comes first and I can't shake that! Maybe it does suck to be me.....always employee of the month/year, but never gets any breaks. It's not like I can just say the heck with him and take one, cause there are only the two of us and if he's out, I can't go anywhere, and if I start to get up, he runs out first. One night I clocked him for fun (since the bosses don't seem to care) and he was out on break for over 3 1/2 hours total of his eight hour shift!
    Indyk

Comment by Indyk (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sounds to me like someone should be saying something.
    We are entitled to one 15 min break and a dinner break per 8 hour shift. dinner breaks range from 20-30 minutes in most workplaces, unless you get an unpaid lunch...then it can go to one hour.
    I take exactly what I'm entitled to--and don't feel one bit guilty about it. It's part of my benefits package, in my opinion.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 1:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We get one 15 min break and I take an hour for lunch. I work at home, so I cannot really say how many I take, b/c I will get up to change the clothes around or put dinner in the crock pot. I think as long as I am getting everything done I need to it is no big deal, I do more work than a lot of people, and they would not have sent me home if I could not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Here I legally get 1 full hour. I can take it all as one lunch hour (which I do) or as a half one lunch and 2 15 minute breaks. The smokers in this group take the 1 hour lunch AND 2 - 20 minute smoke breaks. I can't wait til this place goes smoke-free next year!!

Be careful if you complain or anything. He may have some disability or excuse or some agreement with the boss/HR that require he get aklot of breaks. I know it isn't likely, but I worked for someone with this arrangement before, so it can happen!!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 4:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would have to be saying something to maybe a boss higher up ? If you are employee of the month, they have to be at least noticing the job you do, so they should be interested to know that maybe you could do more if you didn't have to be working with an ass and you would be a happier employee if you actually got to take the breaks you are entitled to (by law, actually). If this guy does have some sort of disability (not sure what disability makes you smoke a lot), but at least you might feel better if you knew about it !! GL
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 5:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• BY LAW.....those words don't seem to mean squat here! Trust me on that! It gets worse every day!
    Indyk

Comment by Indyk (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2010