do you give homeless people/pan handlers money? food? or try to avoid them?

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If I happen to have leftovers from dinner out or something, I will give them to homeless people. I also keep old socks in the car to hand out (they're on their feet a lot and their socks wear out). Other than that, I don't want to support their drug/alcohol habits, and you never know which ones are using the money for that.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• it depends. if they look like a straight up crack head i avoid them. if it seems like someone who is legit i will help them out. now i know it's hard to tell if someone is an alcoholic or doing some other kinds of drugs, but i can spot a crackhead a mile away lol. i try to contribute to organizations that will help them (like a food bank or soup kitchen) too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It depends. If someone is approaching me in a Target or Wal Mart parking lot with this big story about how their car ran out of gas and they need a few extra dollars for gas because their pregnant girlfriend is in the car or whatever, I don't believe them. Why? Because I have been asked this with similar stories several times. When I go visit my dad, there's a homeless guy who is always at that one intersection and I will give him a dollar or something.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I keep $5 gift cards for fast food places in my purse, so that I can give them something so they will be able to eat, but never giver cash because I refuse to support someones habit.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I always give them whatever spare change or singles I have. Also if I have any unopened food in the car I will give them that as well. I figure I am at least trying to help and if they choose to buy drugs instead of food that is their own damn problem. I tried and that is the most I can do to help.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't come across them often but when I do if they look like a drunk or pot head I will walk past but now adays there are so many vets and families homeless I try to give what I can
    mommytoashley

Answer by mommytoashley at 12:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I do sometimes.. But I will always remember this one guy that came up to my brother & I and waslike " Look man, can I get some change? Im tryna get some crack" Lmao... I gave the guy a dollar just for being honest.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i used to give my one's out but then I started noticing the people I was giving my money to were coming into my bar and ordering drinks with my money..and then not tipping. So I decided not to anymore. I know there are hard times but where I live it is so easy to get on food cards, and there are plenty of places for homeless people to go to get a good meal, so I know they don't NEED my money to eat.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I will give them money or a bottle of water. I WILL NOT GIVE THEM CASH. Most of them will buy alcohol and that's not what i want them to do.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I always give them whatever I can, food, change, clothes or blankets... It depends on where I am and what I have in the car. But I always give to them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:14 AM on Oct. 21, 2010