Rice ceral in her bottle? 5 mo. old should i put rice ceral in her bottle?

The last 3-4 nights she's been waking 2-3 times to eat. Since she was at least 1 1/2 mo. she has slept from no later than 10pm then wake once usually between 4-6 a.m. to eat and then back to sleep. Last time at ped. she weighted 16 lbs. 7.5 oz. and 25 1/2 inches.

cdesersa

Asked by cdesersa at 12:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. It's not safe. If you want to feed your baby rice cereal, feed it by spoon. Studies show it won't help your baby sleep through the night. Rice cereal is hard to digest and it isn't a good first solid. It causes constipation and digestive problems.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would never put food in her bottke. She needs to learn to eat off the spoon for one thing and it will clog the nipple up for another. I would talk to her doctor about it before I did anything. You can ask at her next appointment. I would hold off until then.
    akamomof275847

Answer by akamomof275847 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Everydaymomma, you need a new ped! Cereal is not recommended before 6 months! The stomach lining is open and it greatly increases the risk of allergies and other issues. It doesn't help with sleep or keeping them full longer.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Feeding cereal on a spoon is much better than in a bottle, but it won't help a baby sleep longer because they still get their nutrition and calories from the liquid diet. Solids are basically supplemental until age 1.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Even 6 months is a stretch. Babies have something called a "leaky gut" Cereals are very hard on that and can be a contributing factor to allergies. It is not a good first food.
    sarasquiverfull

Answer by sarasquiverfull at 1:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Oh and you should never FULLY trust your Pediatrician. You should question anything that sounds like it may not be best for your child. Unfortunately, Doctors are schooled in medicine not wellness.
    sarasquiverfull

Answer by sarasquiverfull at 1:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would say no! I think it's better that u feed your baby the cereal rather putting it in the bottle maybe a couple hrs before bed feed her baby food n cereal togther ( bananas n cereal) and a bottle a lil while after n your baby should sleep a lil while longer....
    kidsrablessing

Answer by kidsrablessing at 1:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I was told rice cereal in a bottle is not the best and that babies shouldn't be given rice cereal till at least 6 months. I know ppl do different things, however I wanted to share the advice I received.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 12:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Check with your doctor. I have a two month old, but he's in the 90th percentile as far as height and weight, and he has good head control. So, our doctor told me that he was ready to try rice cereal. I asked him about putting it in the bottle. He said that was not a good idea, he needs to eat it off of a spoon. He also said to try it in the mornings instead of night just in case it does upset his little tummy. If he doesn't tolerate it, I'm supposed to wait a few days to a week and try again.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:07 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have 5 children and only one ped...Cerel is recommended to all sorts of children depended on the child and there devolpement..For ex: I had one who had reflux..I was told to put cereal in each bottle starting off when he was a month old. To thicken the formula so that he holds it down better..So I have had them start on ceral at all different ages..I would check with the doc but my advice is the same as the others unless your baby is to young to eat from a spoon I would not put in the bottle.. the child needs to learn to feed with the spoons..
    carterclan02

Answer by carterclan02 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010