What do you do personally to work on your marriage?

Marriages cannot always be happy. There are times of anger, disappointment, and sadness. Marriages also take a lot of work to get past those hard times. What do you do, either individually or with your husband, to work on your marriage and get through the challenges?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 1:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• compromise...Never go to bed angry..
    carterclan02

Answer by carterclan02 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I nag him constantly to keep him in line LOL jk. I like to think that when 2 people get married that they start out immature in marriage terms and over the years they work at it and get better. No one is perfect. When I look back to when we were first married I can't believe some of the things we did and said to each other. Sometimes its just not worth arguing to death and being "right". We try very hard to communicate our feelings constantly. Neither of us have ever cheated on each other, we respect each other quite a bit. We make a point to tell each other WHY we love each other and make lists sometimes of what we like about each other. We don't ever bad-mouth the other, even when we are plenty mad. We don't ever discuss our issues with other people, not even family. I learned the hard way that it will bit you in the butt every time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We communicate. We talk about EVERYTHING. There is nothing that is off limits, we just don't intentionally hurt the other person. We compromise. We never forget why we fell in love in the first place. We make time for each other, we have a date night once a week (when he is home of course), we treat each other with dignity & respect. We put the other persons needs above our own.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• also, we do not name call, say thinks like "you never" or "you always", & we NEVER make threats of separation or divorce.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I try to give him his space, and even if its not my fault or his fault we both end up appolagizing.
    Most of the time our fights are silly non important things, but Iv'e found not going to bed mad is better.
    Ya never know what tomorrow brings, so fix it today!
    If he's in a mood, good sex works too, lol!
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 1:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Even when we argue, we always say we love one another.
    We do NOT call each other names and make ugly comments.
    Days off are family days, spent together, focused on us and our son.

Drop one another love notes and cards (sometimes in his lunch, on a pillow, ect)
    just because.
    Never badmouth a spouse to outsiders, or share problems w/them.
    Remember that we promised, before God, for better or worse.
    Give and take, on both sides. Sometimes I get what I want, sometimes he does.

If you EACH put one another above yourselves, problems will be very few.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 1:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I always have a sit down with him if something is wrong with either of us. It's hard, but it should be done. We like to be open in our communication. we also try to have one date night a week, just him and I.
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 2:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We communicate. We always say "Communication is the key to success."
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• carterclan02 said it best. That is the only advice I took seriously when I married dh. However there are those times when things are not completely resolved before you hit the hay and they add up and then come out in the for of an argument. I personally try to do things out of the blue like write a poem or give him unscheduled sex. It's hard right now being my dh has been emotionally involved with someone else, but these are the times that either make a marriage stronger or it breaks completely.  I'm not a quiter and neither is my dh. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Still trying to figure that out too. Struggling too. :)
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 4:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2010