Have you ever turned your back and your baby rolled off the bed?

Last night I had her on the bed after changing her nappy. I got up to put the bum cream back on the dresser and within seconds... she rolled off!!! I'm absolutely mortified! She's fine, but I can't shake these enormous feelings of guilt and disgust at myself everytime I look at her little face. EVERYBODY told me to never leave her unsupervised for one second cos she's starting to roll now. How could I have been so fkn stupid?!!! Also, my DH wasn't there. I didn't tell him, cause he would be furious with me. Would you tell yours?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 3:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was such a lazy baby and he was way behind on rolling, so I would put him in the middle of my bed and he would fall asleep and hubby and I would get in the shower (2 steps from the bedroom), it was a nightly routine for us and hubby takes likle 2 seconds to shower so he was always just on there for like 5 mins. I know we shouldnt have done it but he never moved, until one night we heard a bump and then he started crying, he had finally rolled and rolled off the bed and was crying. He was crying hard, I think he just scared himself. I felt horrible but lots of babies roll off the bed, the sofa anything lol.

Please do not stress yourself, do not feel guilty kids are rough on themselves, it was an accident and its not going to be the last time she gets hurt.

As for telling your hubby, if she isnt hurt I wouldnt mention it, what is the point of bringing it up if she is fine.
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Almost every mom has this happen! Dont feel guilty! I would tell your husband..if he finds out later and you didnt tell him, he would have more to get angry about. He will have to get over it and learn to trust you with your child.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• As far as telling dh let me ask you this: Would you want to know if he did the same? If so, then yes tell him. Because if he does something he wont hesitate then to tell you. Trust me. Yes, my first child rolled off the bed and my back wasn't even turned. He was in the center of the bed and he rolled like a double roll for lack of better words and right before my eyes he landed in the floor. He immediately started screaming and I knew it wasn't good. He was 7 months old. I'll never forget it. We took him to the e.r. and he had a broken collar bone, the most common bone broken in people's bodies. The staff at the hospital kept looking at me like I was a child abuser. I remember one of them saying" Yeah it COULD have happened by falling off the bed." Like I was lying. She couldn't have made me feel more worse than I already felt. Once I saw the x-ray I literally had so much guilt; told dh I deserved to have my collar bone broken
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yes I have and I'd tell him. Men like to know they aren't the only ones who make mistakes.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 4:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Honey, stop the guilt. I'm pretty sure it's a rite of passage. Mine has rolled off. Now @ 2 he tries to sommersault off the bed. Ugh. I would bet that 90% of these moms have had a baby roll of the bed at some point.

As far as telling your husband.... It's your marriage.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Not the bed, but the couch, yes. But, he was fine. It's a good idea to tell the father or other people who care for the baby if they fall, because then everyone can watch for signs of problems, especially if they bumped their heads on something. If you're really scared of his reaction or how he would treat you, then just use your best judgment. Everyone makes mistakes, so you need to try to forgive yourself. I'm glad she's ok!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I told my hubby when our dd fell off of our bed. I would not want him to keep something like that from me, so I didn't keep it from him. I felt like a horrble mother for letting it happen, I totally know better than to put a baby on the bed, even though she was supervised it only takes a second for them to fall. I wouldn't keep this from your SO. You don't want to start a pattern of keping things about your LO from him.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You'd tell him even though you know he'll hold it against you and use it as 'bad mother ammo"? He's very critical and when we fight he gets quite brutal
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 4:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010