Do you think that we are less involved as parents nowadays with so much technology around?

Digital books read to our kids, internet and games distract parents. What do you think?

adelinasmommy

Asked by adelinasmommy at 4:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Maybe some people but not my family. I read real books to my kids, old fashioned ones that are paper lol. I don't play games on the internet, not even on CM and I make it a point not to use the internet unless my kids are in school, at grndparents' or in bed.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't think so. When I was a kid, my mom would always kick us outside so that she could watch her soap operas...that lasted 3-4 hours a day and in no way am I on the computer that long. I think it's pretty much just the person. If you would rather do something else more than spend time with your family, then you will find a way no matter what it is...I'm not talking about those of us who realize we need our "me time" and spend an hour or so a day away...I'm talking about those who sit at the computer ALL DAY while their kid is glued to the TV.

I intentionally do not buy anything that reads to my child because I don't want to become one of those people who doesn't read to her. Maybe once she gets older, but at the age of 4, there is no reason that she should have anyone but a human being reading to her.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think, as a society, yes. Fewer families spend time together - everyone has personal devices (TVs, computers, phones, etc.) and many spend a lot of time in their own spaces even when they are all at home. Few families eat dinner together regularly - there are different school/activity/work schedules and family time isn't so much of a priority. I think it gets worse as the kids get older.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Not in my house.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Probably. But it depends on what era you are comparing to.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think parents of teenagers def are...they will text their child instead of having a conversation with them. When my sil went out of the sate with us (she is 14) she was gone a couple days and she didn't even talk to her parents except get a text. I just thought it was weird.
    theycallmehunny

Answer by theycallmehunny at 9:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Nope. When I was a kid you were just shoved outside for hours and hours at a time. Now, kids are at least being educated, even if it's by technology, it's better than sleeping in the grass (like I used to do.)

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yes just read some of these questions or look at how young children are with cell phones and every thing else.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My mom spent most of my childhood watching soap operas and reading books (to herself).  I never felt neglected.  My dad worked and when he was home he was sleeping or watching TV.

I'm usually on my computer during the day but I provide just as much attention as my mom did when I was growing up.  When I was a kid we were expected to entertain ourselves.  All kids were.  We didn't need mom and dad engaging us every moment of the day or playing with us.  I expect the same from my kids.  We talk and have fun watching TV together or playing video games together but otherwise they do their own thing and I do mine just like when I was a kid.

Oh, and my kids aren't allowed to use the computer and don't have educational toys (they have a Wii and DS).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010