What do you think can be done in your community to help prevent homelessness?

If you live in an area where homelessness is normal or on the rise what do you personally do to help get these people back on their feet? I realize it is on the rise across the nation due to the huge unemployment lines and being in a recession but do you ever stop to give money, food, etc. to the people you see on the streets? For example I think instead of throwing away food or resturants throwing away uneaten food, they can instead donate that food to women's shelters, religious places of worship, homeless shelters so the low-income/poor can get a meal every night. If I had my own restaurant I would give any uneaten food to the poor.

arabiaheart

Asked by arabiaheart at 4:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well in 2008 ACORN came in because of the high foreclosure rate and went to some of the surrounding areas and protested on some foreclosed homes...it worked for most, they were able to hold off and re-finance...

Job training

Resume' help, interview help at the local library

Crack down on drugs

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes that is very true..we have alot of that here as well..

I won't harp on about ACORN ..it's tough though lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• There are shelters and food banks to help getpeople back on their feet in the Twin Cites but as some have mentioned, I think it is a DRUG problem. ALL drugs...prescription drugs,illegal drugs, that have people throwing away their lives. There is too much time devoted to meaningless issues and not enough devoted to the drug problem. I donate to food shelves here but....other than that, I am not going to take anyone in and feed them....if they are on drugs,spending hand-out money on Meth or something, they are not getting free anything from me. If someone has lost their job and are sincerely trying to find a new job and is not a druggie, then,fine I will help.I have no sympathy for drug users....as I am sure you know by now. :-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think communitys should do more to educate the homeless and get them in temporary housing and help them get jobs. A hand-out is only good for that day. You know what I mean? It's like "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime." I'm all for giving the homeless food and clothes, etc but it won't be a permanent solution.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Crack down on drugs Particularly METH
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Crack down on drugs Particularly METH

This but crack down on prescription drug abuse....so many doctors have been busted for SELLING pills and they start horrible drug addictions

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

OK, thanks for that...and I alomost spit my tea out when I read your comment!! lol..didnt even think of that...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I've never seen a homeless person here. DH takes my cash when we go to Philly because I'd give it to anybody that looks dirty and asked for it, lol, We then make a (small) donation to the Salvation Army or something credible, to assuage my guilt.

I honestly don't know what to do. You get so many requests for help, breast cancer, the Indian museum, children's hospital, women's shelters, domestic violence, homeless shelters, and at the end of the day, you still have to pay your own electric bill. For a while I was donating blood, and I'm almost ready to donate my hair, because we don't have much left at the end of the month to give. Actually that reminds me, I can start giving blood again. The local bank won't take blood for a year after surgery, and childbirth counts.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010