Is there a lot of pre op bloodwork before having a c section?

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 4:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not really. No more than a regular labor. They want to know if there's possibility of you needing a blood transfusion. I came very very close with both c-sec and natural birth. I have redhair and apparently redheads bleed more. They don't know why. Hopw your c-sec is absolutely necessary because they suck in so many ways!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• In a hospital setting, they take blood either way, just in case, so they know in advance.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Having gone through 3 unplanned c-sections I can tell you that it is 45 minutes to 1 hours from the time they make the decision until the OR is ready to go and most of that is double checking the blood work. Now if it is a true emergency they just grab some O neg and run down the hall.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am having a C-section on Monday the 25th and will be going in on Saturday for my blood work and I was told it is no different than having any other type of surgery.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 9:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I went in the day before my planned csections for bloodwork. They do a simple battery of tests. It's not just to check for blood type (although they do check) - when they ran mine they found out my potassium level was low and they had to take some extra precautions for anesthesia.

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had an emergency C-section, and everything happened so fast, I honestly don't remember having blood work done. But I do vaguely remember my blood type being stated on the paperwork I signed when I was admitted to the hospital, so I'm thinking all of that prep work was done during one of the normal pregnancy visits where I had blood drawn.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No, 1 stick for all tests...
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 10:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010