How do I get my 1 year old daughter to sleep by herself without her fussing until someone picks her up?

illinios_mommy1

Asked by illinios_mommy1 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just let her cry i know its hard and can give you a head ache but it does work i did that with my son
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I made a bed time ritual. Bath books, and then we would talk bout what we were going to do the next day. Kissed her goodnite and then put her into bed. every 20 mintues my husband and I would walk in there together and lay her down tell her we loved her. Then wait another 20 mintues and do it again. the first night it was about 45 minutes of her crying, but each nite after that it was less and less crying. It took us only 4 days for her to get into the routine and she has been sleeping by herself, and on her own. It was the best thing we did. We have aour nites to ourselves and she is ok. Just get a routine before bed time starting an hour before with bath, books and whatever you want to do. Then put her to bed and leave for for 20 minutes and go in there together. It will be very hard the first couple days, I cried. But it takes time for them to adjust. I hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Consistantcy is the key to raising children. If they are used to something and you want to change it, you just have to let them know that this is the way it is going to be and let them cry it out. Don't go in a pick her up. You may cry too, but you have to do it if you want it to get better. She should stop crying after a week or two or less. It is just according to how long she has been used to you going in a picking her up. Good luck.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 8:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I'm going to sound harsh here and I know it. Don't let that baby cry it out. That should be considered child abuse IMHO. She's still a baby, hon.. Just one year old.. And she needs you to be there for her. I know it seems hard and time consuming and there are probably a hundred other things you'd rather be doing but please take into consideration how quickly they grow. Enjoy bedtime as much as you can. Make a routine with a nice bath -even with her- and teeth brushing -which can be fun!- and a story and cuddling. But please don't let that baby lay there and cry all alone. That's just mean and horrible. She's going to be big before you know it and you'll wish you'd taken the time with her.

Much love and many blessings,
    Jen: Mommy to three crazy boys and one faery princess.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2008