How long after can I drive?

How long after a c section can I drive again? My c section is scheduled for the 26th of this month.

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 5:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The next day if you want.

Answer by louise2 at 5:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Umm no not the next day. It depends if you are on medications or not for pain. If no medications then usually they tell you AT LEAST 6 weeks. Its major major surgery. Trust me, the last thing you will want to do is drive. Sitting up in bed is going to be enough of a challenge. You also can't walk stairs. It hurts to laugh, sneeze, cough, etc. I suggest you buy a Boppy pillow if you don;t already have one. You can put it around you and lay the baby on it for feedings.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I know she might not feel like driving. But their is no restrictions on her driving if she FEELS like it. If for some reason she needs to she can.

Answer by louise2 at 5:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The docs I've seen after c-sections say 2 weeks, adjustable for pain and meds. If you're ready before, great, if you're not, great. Ask your doc what she recommends.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• When I had my natural birth I was also told by dr to wait 6 weeks. The reason is your response time isn't very quick.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• After C-sections they do not recommend you driving anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks, though usually doctors say somewhere in the middle is okay.. This is another issue that depends a lot on your own body and how you are feeling. It is a major surgery and are at risk for anything if you do get into an accident or even just quick movements, jumps and jolts. Even though you may feel alright doesn't mean you are healed at all at that point either. The minimum recovery time of 6 weeks for vaginal births and 8 weeks for C-sections is given for a reason. The following questions should be considered before getting into a car to drive again after having had a c-section: - Can I get in and out of the car without significant pain? - Can I buckle my seat belt over my abdomen without flinching?
    - Do I feel that I can turn my torso comfortably so that I am able to look over my shoulder and in all directions while driving?
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 8:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• C-Section 2 weeks MINIMUM--- you can open stiches.
    Natural Birth--- 24 hours as long as your not on medication.

Those are the AMA standards. Anything else is based on a particular patient. NEVER before 2 weeks on a C section. I would've driven home from the hospital with all 3 of my kids if the hospital let me.... :) Although, I drove myself to the hospital in labor w my 2nd... lol
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 9:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I was told 6 weeks...that was 19 years ago though!
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 10:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I was told 6 weeks 2 years ago when I had my son's csection, but only 2 weeks when I had my daughter via csection 3 months ago. You can only drive if you are off pain medications. By 2 weeks after having her I was off pain meds and had no trouble driving.

Answer by missanc at 11:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Everyone is different, I would ask your doctor. However, I could not imagine it being more than a day or so.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 1:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010