Do you think...

some people go to Church and claim to be God-fearing out of habit and upbringing only without really being all that into it themselves, but they've never really thought about it or considered denying it cuz its just a part of something they've always done since they were kids?

What are those called? Sunday Christians or part-time Christians?
These are the same people that roll their eyes at overly zealous bible thumpers, even tho they claim to be Christians, as well.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Yes I do think some people are "christian" out of habit, not knowing there are other paths, and are afraid to step outside of their comfort zone.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Why would this be unique to Christians? Couldn't there also be Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc. people who grow up in a faith and never question it?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yes I do think that some people are afraid to expand their minds and ask themselves what THEY believe
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:34 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm just having a hard time understanding why someone else's faith or lack of faith is any of our business. Its a personal thing, between a person and God, and not for us to judge.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with DrDonna- why just Christians? I also believe some are atheists or agnostic because right now its the cool/hip thing. I think most come by their beliefs through their own reflection.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• my mom always called them "luke-warm Chrisitans" cause theres a verse in the Bible about it...but now that i think about it im not sure if thats the right context of that verse...

"These are the same people that roll their eyes at overly zealous bible thumpers, even tho they claim to be Christians, as well."

you do know that not all of us that roll our eyes at the thumpers dont know our faith right?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Why do they have to have a label. They are people who go to church but are quiet.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• don't agree that being athiest/agnostic is some hip fad, its as much a belief system as having a belief in something. Don't downplay someone's beleifs by saying its a "fad"

Oh, but its OK to say that people are Christian out of habit? A habit is an OK thing to say, but fad- WOW, can't believe you would downplay someone like that! The rest of my statement said, most come by their beliefs by reflection. I think its funny that someone like you that has no problem heaving your views on Christianity gets so offended when someone questions Atheists or Agnostics. And yes, right now there is a huge Christian backlash and as such- Atheists and Agnostics are the cool, hip thing.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes there are people like that in every religion, I am sure. Some people have never read the bible and never go to church, etc. but if there is any reason they need to say what religion they are they put Christian because that is what they were "raised" as. I don't know why it is a bad thing, some people just aren't interested in religion, they don't feel a need to be religious or spiritual, therefore they do not find an interest in searching out other religions to see if there is something else they want to be, because they have no desire to. Yet, they don't really consider themselves atheists either. I know a few people like this, they are nice, kind, friendly non-judgemental people. I don't see the big deal really.

Amoraeterna

Answer by Amoraeterna at 9:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think those people are just confused a little. They aren't Christians if they haven't accepted Christ.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2010