Are you your husband's mother or wife?

Courtney Cox and David Arquette are currently separated and plan to get a divorce. He claims that "She tries to take on everybody's problems," he said. "She's the mother to everyone. That's why she doesn't want to be the mother to me anymore." For their 11th wedding anniversary this past June, he said she bought him a motorcycle. "She said to me, 'I don't want to be your mother anymore,'" he recalled.

Do you feel that you are your husband's mother or wife? What kinds of things do you do to distinguish yourself as one of the other?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Good question....My husband and I were teens when we married and both came from dysfunctional families....we parented each other for the rest of our growing up process...first I parented him and then he parented me for a while....we are in our 40's now and have finally become partners....it's been a long road.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sometimes I feel Like i am the mother. He can be just as much trouble as my 3 kids sometimes.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am the wife not the mother, When I was younger I made this mistake with my EX and that is part of the reasons why he is my EX. I did not want the same thing to happen with my SO so I don't. We work together on just about everything. If I need help with dishes or laundry I ask him to help. I don't think just because he is a man he can't help with these things. We have a partnership and we help each other.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well I am both actually. I mother him in a good way. I look ot for him. Its not in a nagging way but I will tell him to put his coat on when Its 40 outside and he's in a t-shirt and remind him to set his alarm, things like that. He has jokingly caled me mother on occassion. I don't mind it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• SweetLove I wonder if he resents it. I was watching a movie called "Blindness" where everyone lost their sight except for one woman. Her husband told her that she needed to stop doing so much for him because he felt that she was more of a mother than a wife. He eventually cheated on her with a woman that was blind also.

David Arquette, would cheat on his wife as well. He seems to think that he wants a mother for a wife, but his actions seem to prove something else.

I am little mothering to my husband too. But I try to also be the sex vixen. I try to balance it out. I try to let him be a MAN or the KING.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 7:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Iguess it depends on how you look at it. DH and I see me as his wife. But I do care for the house, put away his clothes, and cook most of the meals (like a Mother would).
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 7:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think that there is caring for a household and then there is mothering someone. I think that its a thin line. But still a line.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am his wife, not his mother. Though sometimes I feel like his mother with as much as I pick up after him. You'd think a 30 year old man could pick up after himself better.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm his wife. He had a mother, and he doesn't need another one.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thanks Anna. What made you guys change?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2010