What is your opinion about ....

Do you believe it is in the best interest of our SO/Husbands, children, or friends that we need to resort to yelling and cussing? Isn't there a better, less stressful action we can take as moms? Plz keep it clean for the young ones. Thank you

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:43 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I try very hard not to let my temper get the best of me. I hear young kids cussing all the time and are honestly sad for them. There are much better ways to get your point across than dropping the "f" bomb every other word. It also does not make you sould very intelligent. I may let a word slip here and there, but It is certianly not regular, and I do appologize afterward. I do not want my kids growing up thinking it is ok to talk like that.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 7:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I only yell as a last resort. Yes I agree it might not be the best way, although after asking for something to be done numerous amounts of time, with no one doing it, I sometimes yell. I am not sure there is anything wrong with it and I don't yell all the time so I guess when I do yell my kids or DH know that I am really angry.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• okay, I yell, and I cuss! The fact is that I dont know ANYONE who doesnt! If I ask one of my kids to clean something p nicely 5 times, I will yell. "clean that shit up now". And my kids NEVER use bad words, and I rarely have to do that, but it isnt the end of the world! And in my opinion, as long as you dont call them a cuss word, it is all an opinion of speech!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't cuss. Occassionally a word will slip(rarely) and I apologize immediately. I don't yell but raise my voice after saying something numerous times.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't yell. I have a look and then and a way of making my voice thick. My DH calls it my Authorotive voice. Then they know they've gone too far
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 7:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• no i dont think it is a good thing because i grew up in that world and as a child i was always depressed and withdrawn and it is never good to put a child through that because it hurt them in ways that you cannot imagine i always used to wonder if my father cared about me at all because he was always yelling and screaming at me over the littlest things
    whitewolf1985

Answer by whitewolf1985 at 7:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sometimes I raise my voice (usually does not help a lot to make my point, lol) and I avoid to cuss anyway and especially in front of my child. It's just not good to have them pick up gutter-language from their role models. Sometimes when I'm frustrated I have a faux pas or two, but it's getting better ecently.
    As for physical pain; There is a study that comfirmed, that people manage pain much better (longer and more) by swearing. It's a relief it seems. (HAve to look it up again, I think it was on a german university.)
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 7:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't yell unless it's at my DH lol. I will however, raise my voice to my DS if he is being defiant. I do not spank and I do not see anything wrong with raising your voice. Children need guidance and authority, they need to know when your serious. If raising your voice is effective I see no problems with it.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am guilty of both. I don't cuss at my kids or call them names but I will as the pp said say "clean that shit up" or such. I usually apologize for yelling and then let them know that I still expect them to listen to me.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:15 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You must not have a teenager. Last resort is yelling and cussing. Sometimes nothing else works. When you have tried everything else, the last step is yelling and cussing or beating the crap out of a disrespectful snot nosed teenager who thinks he is right about everything and doesn't need school or to listen to his parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010