What size is a standard crochet hook?

Blanket making

adelinasmommy

Asked by adelinasmommy at 6:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I don't know if there's a "standard" size, but the pattern should tell you what size to use....I know a baby blanket is quite small, possibly a G or so. A "grown-up" blanket, a little bigger.....but that's the cool thing about crochet...you can customize whatever you make by the size of the hook, color/texture of the yarn, size/type of stitches.....I used to crochet a lot, but it sort of fell by the wayside when I had a daughter.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 6:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• actually the standard size is G or H but they tend to vary with the type of yarn you decide to use if the yarn is thicker use a bigger hook if it is thinner use a smaller that is what my nana taught me
    whitewolf1985

Answer by whitewolf1985 at 7:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• For me, 1.65mm (or 1.8mm) is standard. There is no set standard. Different yarns need different sizes, different patterns need different sizes. It should say on the yarn wrapper what size is best for that particular thickness.
    Anonymous

• I would use a H.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 5:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I use a G9.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 7:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010