Wear eyeglasses, contacts or have Laser eye surgery?

I can't wear glasses, they give me a headache and I'm too clumsy. I currently wear contacts. I like the idea of laser eye surgery but have heard its risky and has messed up some's vision worse than before.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 7:15 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in

• I typically wear contacts and have glasses - switch back and forth. I personally would NEVER consider eye surgery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• they usually give free initial visits. At least in my area. I was told that I was not a good candidate for laser. I have the wrong type of vision and would still have to wear glasses for reading.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have astigmatisim(spelling?) in BOTH eyes. Its really annoying. At first I didn't notice it but its getting worse. For one, it causes both of my eyes to leak out of the outer corners. Its not everyday but it happens a lot when I first wake up, while I'm lying down and always when I laugh really hard or am nervous. Dr said my eyes aren't the typica shape and size. Now its causing contacts to slide around. Its also causing me to not see words and numbers clearly. It all jumbles together. Example: the letter C, G and O all look the same. We were filling up on gas earlier yesterday and I thought the sign said 2.51 and it was 2.57!!!! And it was the BIG sign that you can see all the way down the road!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 7:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• contacts. Eyeglasses give me a headache. Laser , I do not think so.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 7:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have worn glasses/contacts since I was 13. I am now almost 34. I go in for laser eye surgery on Nov 3. My SO had it done 4 years ago and hasn't had a single problem.
    There is always a risk with any surgery that something will go wrong or it will not correct the issue. I will not live my life worrying about what could happen. If it does, then I will worry about it then.
    I didn't worry about the cost since I believe that in this, I am not willing to scimp on quality just to save some money.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I know numerous people that have had the Laser surgery and they have had NO problems at all. My aunt had it done probably 15 years ago and one cousin had it less than a year ago and one about 5 years ago. All are very happy with the results. I wear glasses and contacts and would LOVE to have laser surgery but my eye doctor doesn't even think I can because of the shape of my cornea. I would have to have the suregon evaluate my eyes before getting the surgery and one of these days, I will. If my eyes are right for the surgery I am getting it done. My eyesight is horrible and I am sick of wearing coke bottles and dealing with contacts.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I wear contacts (have an astigmatism in one eye) and have glasses for watching TV after I've taken them out. Lately I've noticed that I can read books better with no corrective lenses on at all. Ain't age grand?? I'm figuring that at some point I may not need contacts for the computer either, but I'm not there yet.

RE: Laser surgery - I'm not a candidate because I scar easily. A few friends have had it done and love it. However the friend who had it done longest ago (maybe 8-9 yrs?) now has to wear glasses to read up close. Again - age changes everything...
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Eyeglasses.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had laser eye surgery over 11 years ago. The best decision I have made. Fortunately I had no issues and still see very well. I also had astigmatism in both eyes and the surgery worked great for me. I chose to do it because I was getting headaches from glasses and I didn't even want to try contacts. Then my DH's job at the time was paying for laser eye surgeries for employees and family members and all we had to pay was $200 for the whole thing. I just didn't want to miss the opportunity so my DH and I decided that we both needed help and so we took the opportunity and we are so happy we did. And yes we were told after age 40+ our eyes will start needing reading glasses just like a normal aging process of eyesight changes, My DH is 41 and is starting to notice changes but isn't at the point where he needs glasses yet. I am only 38 and not yet there but I am and will be okay with just needing reading glasses one day.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 8:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have contacts and glasses. I rarely wear my glasses. I am not a fan of the surgery. I have a couple friends who work in eye offices. Their bosses paid for them to get the surgery. So far all the women in each of the offices who got the surgery are right back in glasses or contacts. The longest the surgery lasted for any of them was 6 months I think. I know of a couple other people who had the surgery and the same happened with them.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2010