Do you choose based on time or quantity?

A friend of mine was curious about how other parents decide how much to read to their children before bed. They let our daughter choose 3 books. Of course, sometimes she'll choose something like Richard Scarry's Greatest Storybook Ever on top of her other two books, so while the 3 book limit helps define a time limit for the bedtime routine, it doesn't fit neatly into, say, 20 minutes or so.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on the night. Some nights they just get one short story, other nights they get 2 or 3... It depends on how I or their dad are feeling and how they are acting... If they aren't paying attention and aren't calming down, story time is over...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• 20-30 minutes is the time that I used for bedtime stories.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We read one story a night, other wise they would have us read every book in the house lol
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We used to do one small book a night. Now he's into the Magic Treehouse series, so we read one chapter each night. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• One book or one chapter from a book per parent.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We read one story before bed, however long it may be. We have three kids and they each get a night to pick a story and then it's my night to pick and then we start over again.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• we aim to get as close to 20 minutes as possible with my 2 older ones. the youngest gets the story the same time as my 5 year old cause i nurse her for bed at that time and my 2 year old its usually about 2 minutes cause she just cant seem to pay attention much long than that at time especially at the end of the day.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2010