I am SOOOO exhausted from trying to get my now 4 year old son to poop in the toilet. I was thinking we were making progress a few months back but then it just stopped. He knows where to go, how to go and when he has to he just plain refuses to do it! NOTHING I have done/tried has worked! UGH!! Please any suggestions? I have done, charts, stickers, toys, rewards etc.. Nadda works....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With both of my boys I just stopped putting them in diapers. It got a little messy but it seems like they figured it out pretty quickly. I think boys are a little slower at pooping in the potty anyway. Maybe because they really like peeing standing up. Neither of my kids was really ready to poop in the potty until they were at least 3 1/2.
    hkpl8

Answer by hkpl8 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• A friend suggested wrapping a toy in paper and setting it up high, but visible in the bathroom. Once the child goes, he gets the gift. Do not ever give it if he does not go. My son was like yours--afrid of pooping. One day my husband got him to do it, just before I was going to do the present thing. Once they go, they usually keep on going. I hope this helps you a little bit.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Go to the potty training group (you can look on my profile for the right one) and check out a process called poop jail. I used that and some prune juice. It has worked very well!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 9:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• forget the treats and gifts take toys away nice put away in garage you might even have to say ok time to put on diapers sometime you have to let them say no before the will go again you need to ask why he does not like to put poop in the toilet sometimes this is a cry for i want attention
    jojomommy

Answer by jojomommy at 1:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• make a game out of going. make up a song that was my sons favorit part about pooping that and getting to flush. may sound weird but he always calls his cousins poopoo heads and they call him that for fun not mean so when they are around he tells them that he flushed them in the potty mind you he is only 3. also he gets to make a phone call toa special person of his choice after going potty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I do not have boys, so I am not too sure if it is any different. But for my 1st daughter, I did not give her a choice. I came home with underwear and a new potty seat and I said that was it, there was no more diapers! It took her a few days to handle the going poop, but she did it! Good Luck to you!
    cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 4:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• For my son, he REALLY wanted Moon Sand...in red. So I told him that the boss at the Moon Sand store told me it was only for big kids who pooped in the potty. That once the mom called and said the little boy could poop, the boss would send him the moon sand. I ordered ahead of time with his name on the delivery label. In the meantime he pooped, and gosh! Would you believe it the Moon Sand boss sent it to him that very afternoon! LOL...Good Luck to you..
    ChrisS.

Answer by ChrisS. at 7:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2008