patching dungarees?

My husband has 7 pairs of dungarees that are almost new and thus good for work, but they all have rips on the butt right where the buttcheek meets the leg. I'm talking can see your underwear, white threads rips.
How do you repair these? If it was on the knees a patch would work. I'm hopeless w/ a sewing machine, but am willing to try again. He's in the right size and he says there is nothing catching on his chair. Any clue ladies? At $50 a pair Levi's are getting expensive to replace.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• If you have 7 pair that are almost brand new, then call levis or the store that you purchased them from and tell them the situation. Chances are, they had a bad batch of material, or they weren't sewn correctly. They should replace the jeans or refund your money.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• can you try a patch inside? Though I agree with PP, if all 7 are doing the exact same thing it may be a manufacturing defect
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well there is no way to return them. They were all bought on sale over the year and I cannot find the sales tickets. I leave the tags on them and place them at the bottom of his drawer so that he uses the older pairs first to wear them out. Since his size doesn't change this normally saves us money in the long run.
    As for patches he says the last two I put in were very irritating, the stiches rubbed him raw and the iron on ones peel off after a wash or two.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• OP, I'd still try calling them. I'm sure Levi's has a "customer care" or "quality control" department. If you have THAT many pair that are tearing in the same places then there's an issue with the manufacture of them. I don't think they'd need your receipts if you work directly with the manufacturer...they'd probably just request the pants back so their quality control department can figure out what was done wrong. I'd give that a shot.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2010