Confused about Catholics...

I am not trying to insult or upset anyone. I just want to understand something that does not make sense to me. The first thing that I do not understand is Catholics and their priest. In the Bible it says not to call any earthly man Father, but the Catholics call their priests Father. The second thing I do not understand is lent. When the fasting man (cant think of his name at the moment) was asked why he wasnt eating the animals he said that it was bc they were unclean, and God said that it was okay to eat them. So why is it that Catholics do not eat meat on Fridays during lent? I really do not understand why Catholics seem to go against the Bible when it comes to their religious practices, and I dont know why they would do this if they are believers of God and Jesus Christ. Maybe I am misunderstanding.....

hostlerak

Asked by hostlerak at 8:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'll start with the fasting: it is done to reminds us of the sacrifices Christ made, puts us into solidarity with the poor, and helps us to remember that the cares of the flesh aren't as important as the cares of the spirit. The reason for calling the priest "Father" is recognize that he's the head of the parish. The bible verse is warning us not to confuse earthly humans with God. No Catholic thinks their priest is God. If you are caught up with the vocabularly, I'm wondering what you call your own male parent.

Two poor examples to base Catholics "going against the Bible"? I'd say that you are getting pretty legalistic about Biblical verses and that are prejudiced against Catholics. If you are actually curious as to the what & why behind Catholic practices/beliefs, our Catechism is freely available.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We eat meat most of the time. It's not shunning God's gifts, it's taking some time away, as I said above, to remind us of the sacrifices Christ made, put us into solidarity with the poor, and to help us remember that the cares of the flesh aren't as important as the cares of the spirit.

Sure there are other things one could choose - this happens to be the one that the Catholic Church has chosen. Since God gave us everything, what ever we abstained would be something God gave us. Is there something we could fast from that God hadn't given? In any case, the reason behind abstaining from red meat (as opposed to other foods) on the Fridays during Lent is historical. Now, it's kept as a common practice to keep Catholics in solidarity with one another.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It's important not to take scripture of of context or your sure to misinterpreted it. I don't think Jesus meant this literally because he broke this rule in Matthew 23:30-32. Paul also calls Abraham the father of all of us. I  call my dad Father sometimes.  I don't think that Jesus had a problem with any particular word for Father, it's that we are suppose to be humble before God no matter what we call ourselves.

Catholics do not abstain from meat during Lent because the meat is unclean. It's a meant to be a personal sacrifice for a time while focusing on inter-reflection. There is nothing wrong with meat, but if you are changing something that you usually do for a time it can be beneficial in reminding us of all we have to be gratefulfor and what so many don't have.  Many catholics will donate money they haven't spent on meat during Lent to the hungry.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Ryansmom and Donna had some good answer..but just to add.
    The reason it's Friday that we fast from meat is because traditionally that is the day Christ was Crucified. We fast from meat to remind us of his sacrifice on the Cross.
    Timandme...Lent is not biblical..and baptising babies??!!
    PLEASE use the wonderful link to the Catechism that Donna provided. It explains why we believe these things and provides scripture to back it up. It might even help you to better understand your own faith.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think some very good answers have been given already, so I will not repeat what has already been said. However, I do have to say that it seems as though people who do not understand Catholic tradition, simply do not want to. It's not really complicated, and what we do IS Bible-based. Those who do not see that, just don't really want to.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• *headdesk* TimandMely, you just don't want to know where our traditions come from, and you've already said you don't want to understand. By stating that, you are showing your true ignorance and hatred, and in my opinion you are no child of God by acting that way. Is that the way Christ would have behaved? I think not. I'm not wasting time giving you verses that support everything we do, but it is there in the Bible, and I don't give a tinker's hoot what you claim to know. What you "know" is filled with lies and bias, plain and simple. Your opinions aren't worth any more of my time and energy.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Here's a link to the whole thing - it's even searchable.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sorry - the last link wasn't actually a searchable link. But this one is (same Catechism, just with the added search function)

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• "My dh was raised baptist and he feels the same way about leaving that denomination as your dh"

This isn't a Catholic vs. the World question.
    Anyway, I agree with you that there are many things Catholics do that I do not understand. I disagree with most of their practices and they disagree with many of mine (for example, I pray in the spirit-in tongues). However, if the things we disagree on aren't what grants salvation or sends anyone to hell, then it doesn't really matter which one you believe. I believe that all Christian denominations need to get past the doctrines and go by the bible and work together for the greater good.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• First of all I said SEEMS. And i am not prejudice against them. Most of my family is Catholic, I just dont understand them. God wants you to eat the mean he has provided or you, so why choose meat when there are other things you can choose?
    hostlerak

Comment by hostlerak (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2010