Seating arrangements for 4 kids? Spin off of another question

Right now we have two children (18 months and almost 4 years), and are expecting twins. We have a mini van that has the 2 captain's chairs and then the full bench seat in the back. I keep wondering what is the best, easiest, safest, ect way to arrange them all in the car once the twins are here. It seems ideal to have the twins closer to my reach in the two captain chairs but then that puts my other 2 children in a good position to mess with them or throw things, ect while we are driving down the road! If I put the twins in the back and my older children in the captains chairs then they wont be facing the babies, making them less tempted to mess with them (plus they couldn't reach them) and I could watch them through the mirrors. But I also dont like the thought of having the infants away from MY reach. What would you do??

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• It seems to make it easier to get to the back. With the infant seats in the middle it is SO hard to get in the back. Less room up front. It also makes it difficult to climb back if the ones in the back need attention. Infant seats are so bulky. I may switch things around again, once the oldest can buckle and unbuckle themselves. Then I think it would be easiest for them to be in the very back. But then my oldest (4 years) gets carsick so he will probably always stay up in the middle!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We have four kids - 4, 3, 2, and 10 months. I don't know if it will work if your middle seats don't fold down, but we put the younger ones in the very back. Our middle seat has car seats built into the main seat. We fold those down for the kids to sit in. To put the little ones in the back we just fold down the middle seat. You could also buckle the babies in by climbing in the back.

There really is no easy way of doing it when you have four little ones! Congratulations on your twins!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I put the baby in the middle, older kids in the back. It's not bad having to buckle them and I feel it is more safe to have baby in the middle. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Ook so you did put the younger ones in back then?? I dont have to fold the middle seats down at all since the captains chairs are there, there is like a little aisle to walk into the back seats. AI loved the vans thats had the car seats built in!
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2010