breastfeeding please help! In tears not sure what to do.

My son is 2 1/2 months old. He is getting 10oz of formula a day b/c hes not getting enough milk with nursing ( when I try nursing only he only makes 3 wet diapers a day) So I strarted with small bottles until he gets a 5oz bottle in the mrning and a 5oz bottle at night. it has been working. I dont want to use formula AT ALL but im not going to starve my son. Now the past few days his diaper count is going back down. I dont know what else I can do. I nurse on demand wich is every 45 mins for him. He gets so mad in the pm before that bottle and his tummy just growls when that bottle hits his mouth. I cant pump ANYTHING even with a hospital grade pump. Ive done the fenagreek (upsets his tummy and still does get anymore milk) I do the mothers milk tea and that doesnt seem to be helping now. i'm afriad if I add anymore bottles then I might dry up completely but my baby is miserable. I eat the oatmeal and drinks water all day too.

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try giving the formula through a supplemental nursing system to help get your supply up.   Also check www.kellymom.com for other ideas to increase supply.  There are some drugs that the doctor can prescribe if it comes to that.  Good luck and hugs to you mama.  You are trying to do what is best for your baby and that is all that matters.

aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Eat some oatmeal. It's supposed to help with milk production. And be sure you're getting *enough* water; not too much, and not too little.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• like I said I am eating oatmeal it's every day. I'm drinking 64oz of water a day
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If you take A supplement called Fenugreek it will increase your milk. It is available at GNC. You need to take about 6 a day. And breastfeed only. At least every 2 hours.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have taken the fenagreek and it upsets his tummy. he wont keep anything down then.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I couldn't handle it it hurt so bad I went to bottles
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• There is a prescription drug to increase milk supply. Mother's milk always worked for me. I will also say that stress will decrease your supply, so try to relax. I remember how stressful the early months were! Even with my second child Please contact your baby's ped and get a lactation consultant. I had to supplement with formula with my second for a while (the baby had issues latching and nursing). There is a group here (Breast feeding) is the name, there are a lot of great women that can give you advice!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010