What do you do if your 2 year old smacks you in the face when she is mad?

Is this normal toddler behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine would be given a stern look, told "NO hitting!" in a firm tone and then her fanny would be plunked in the 'naughty chair' for time out. At 2 she is old enough to know hitting is not acceptable and should get consequences for doing do.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Pretty normal actually. In a stern voice say "no no we don't hit" while shaking your head no and holding her hand. Remember for any direction giving to kneel down to their level and not to bark orders.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 8:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• my 22 month old has hit me before when she's mad. i take the hand she used, firmly put it to her side and with a firm, serious look i tell her "we do NOT hit, bad girl!" and usually that does the trick because she will feel bad for hitting me. if she continues though i will put her in time-out until she gets the message that it's not okay to hit. never hit back because then the message is confusing, "i can't hit you but you can hit me?" but anyways yes i do think it's normal, everyone expresses their anger in different ways. they just need to be taught hitting is not a positive thing.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have a 2 year old and she has NEVER showed this type of aggression! Children learn what they see. Do not let this become a habit. Plain and simple tell her/him this is not acceptable behavior. Grab that little hand and tell her hands are not for hitting, that hurt you, you are sad and put her in time out.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i would probably firmly grab his hand and let him know in a firm voice not to hit me..maybe even spank his hand
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• When she first started doing this, I did the stern talking, "No hitting," and sitting her down in time out. When this didn't work, I went to plan b. I hit her back and asked her how it felt. She said, "I don't like it" and I replied to her, "Well, I don't like it when you hit me." "I'm sorry, Mommy!" She hasn't done it since. Anymore, she just gets overly excited now when we play and sometimes her head meets my nose. At that point, we're just telling her to calm down a bit and be mindful of what she's doing. She's nearly 4 now.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I made the mistake of slapping my sons hand when he was playing with something he shouldn't (after 5 or 6 no's). As a result he now will hit me when he's mad. I see it as my fault, but tell him "no hitting" and put him in time out.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We don't spank or smack our child, and he has done this when he's frustrated about something. He tends to throw things when he's mad, but occasionally he tries to hit us. I think it's normal for many toddlers. We tell him, "No, we don't hit people." If he does it again, he gets a time out. More than one time out if the behavior continues, but usually one time out is enough time for him to calm down and move onto something else that isn't so frustrating for him.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• "I have a 2 year old and she has NEVER showed this type of aggression! Children learn what they see. Do not let this become a habit. Plain and simple tell her/him this is not acceptable behavior. Grab that little hand and tell her hands are not for hitting, that hurt you, you are sad and put her in time out"

Actually a toddler hits his parents out of anger and it's normal. They do not need to see it to do it, it's what they do when they are angry for attention.
    DeansMother

Answer by DeansMother at 5:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2010